Faded pink dot under tail

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Okayy thank you !
You are welcome. After reading, you will probably have lots of questions. Please ask them all. We are here to talk tortoises!

Post pics of your enclosure, heating and lighting, and tell us your temperatures and humidity. We will help you get things set up optimally.

axmna

UAE, sharjah
You are welcome. After reading, you will probably have lots of questions. Please ask them all. We are here to talk tortoises!

Post pics of your enclosure, heating and lighting, and tell us your temperatures and humidity. We will help you get things set up optimally.
I dont really have a big enclosure its a big plastic box but im deciding to buy a new one i do take my turtle out everyday and soak it twice a week for cleaning the enclosure and sometimes thrice and as bedding I have paper towels for now before I had pine wood shaving.. the room temp is 24c°

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I dont really have a big enclosure its a big plastic box but im deciding to buy a new one i do take my turtle out everyday and soak it twice a week for cleaning the enclosure and sometimes thrice and as bedding I have paper towels for now before I had pine wood shaving.. the room temp is 24c°
Sounds like you have some changes to make if you want this tortoise to survive. The temperate species care sheet will explain everything.

axmna

UAE, sharjah
Sounds like you have some changes to make if you want this tortoise to survive. The temperate species care sheet will explain everything.
Is temp the only issue or is the enclosure and the bedding also an issue ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is temp the only issue or is the enclosure and the bedding also an issue ?
Lack of bedding is an issue. Lack of proper heating and lighting is an issue. Type and size of enclosure is an issue.

axmna

UAE, sharjah
Lack of bedding is an issue. Lack of proper heating and lighting is an issue. Type and size of enclosure is an issue.
Could ypu tell me by picture what type of enclosure I should buy for the tortoise and what typa light ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Could ypu tell me by picture what type of enclosure I should buy for the tortoise and what typa light ?
Read the care sheet. It is all explained and shown in there:

axmna

UAE, sharjah
Read the care sheet. It is all explained and shown in there:
Do you think this is okay as a habitat for it cuz I dont have outdoor access cuz I live in a apartment

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240125_203452_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240125_203452_Chrome.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you think this is okay as a habitat for it cuz I dont have outdoor access cuz I live in a apartment
No. That is much too small. Right now the tortoise needs at least 61 x 122cm of enclosure floor space. As it grows it will need 122x244cm. Most of the time, we all have to build our own or make something else work, like a big horse trough. Tortoises need lots of room to walk around inside their enclosures, and they should never be loose on the floor or outside because it is not safe and cannot be made safe.

axmna

UAE, sharjah
No. That is much too small. Right now the tortoise needs at least 61 x 122cm of enclosure floor space. As it grows it will need 122x244cm. Most of the time, we all have to build our own or make something else work, like a big horse trough. Tortoises need lots of room to walk around inside their enclosures, and they should never be loose on the floor or outside because it is not safe and cannot be made safe.
How do I know if my tortoise is in brumation?

axmna

UAE, sharjah
Is it in a cold dark place at 4C and not moving? If not, then it is not in brumation.
Is this okay for the lighting of the tortoise ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240126_000927_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240126_000927_Chrome.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is this okay for the lighting of the tortoise ?
That would be okay for lighting the enclosure and growing plants, but it doesn't provide UV. The good news is that if you can get that bulb there, you should also be able to get other ZooMed HO tubes too. Look for a 10.0 HO tube from the same brand. If you have a suitable outdoor enclosure, and your tortoise gets some sunshine a couple fo times per week or more, then you really don't need indoor UVB and you can skip it if you want to. On the other hand, it will hurt nothing, and may help to keep the tortoise from wanting to brumate if you run one of those bulbs indoors anyway.

This will take care of the UV portion of your lighting, but you will still need a basking lamp, LEDs for ambient light, and you may or may not need ambient heating depending on the room temps where the enclosure sits.

axmna

UAE, sharjah
That would be okay for lighting the enclosure and growing plants, but it doesn't provide UV. The good news is that if you can get that bulb there, you should also be able to get other ZooMed HO tubes too. Look for a 10.0 HO tube from the same brand. If you have a suitable outdoor enclosure, and your tortoise gets some sunshine a couple fo times per week or more, then you really don't need indoor UVB and you can skip it if you want to. On the other hand, it will hurt nothing, and may help to keep the tortoise from wanting to brumate if you run one of those bulbs indoors anyway.

This will take care of the UV portion of your lighting, but you will still need a basking lamp, LEDs for ambient light, and you may or may not need ambient heating depending on the room temps where the enclosure sits.
What about thiss ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240126_002314_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240126_002314_Chrome.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1

axmna

UAE, sharjah
That is a CFL. Not safe or effective. Those should to be sold or used.
Is it normal that tortoise sleep with their heads out ? Cuz I saw my tortoise sleeping with its head out straight yesterday and got scared

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it normal that tortoise sleep with their heads out ? Cuz I saw my tortoise sleeping with its head out straight yesterday and got scared
Yes. They do this when they are feeling relaxed and content and when they are trying to get warmer.