Does my Russian Tortoise look healthy?

DougieTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
Hi guys, I have a Russian tortoise and he's just over a year now, I think. When I compare him with other tortoises I feel like his shell isn't as domed and it's more flat. His shell is a bit bumpy but it has gotten smoother since I bought him. His eyes are clear except sometimes in the morning his right eye doesn't open. I soak his eye in the morning (I think he enjoys it because he extends his neck when I do it) and put him in the bath in the evening for a soak. I give him as much of a varied diet as possible mostly grocery bought foods and some weeds and leaves.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    956 KB · Views: 97

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He looks just like mine. I don't see any issues in the pic.

The eye thing is a concern though. What substrate are you using and how damp? Are you using a coil type cfl bulb for UV?

DougieTortoise

Ireland
He looks just like mine. I don't see any issues in the pic.

The eye thing is a concern though. What substrate are you using and how damp? Are you using a coil type cfl bulb for UV?

I have him on a tortoise table so I'm not sure how to keep humidity up and the substrate at the moment is wood chippings, but I realised a soil substate is better for them so I'll be switching to that next time I clean the enclosure. I use a uvb bulb..

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have him on a tortoise table so I'm not sure how to keep humidity up and the substrate at the moment is wood chippings, but I realised a soil substate is better for them so I'll be switching to that next time I clean the enclosure. I use a uvb bulb..
What type of UVB bulb do you use? MVB bulbs and tube UVB bulbs are fine, but compact (coil type) UVB are known to cause eye problems and should never be used with torts

DougieTortoise

Ireland
What type of UVB bulb do you use? MVB bulbs and tube UVB bulbs are fine, but compact (coil type) UVB are known to cause eye problems and should never be used with torts

Oh right sorry! It's not coiled its a MVB. I didn't realise that about coiled bulbs, but thanks for the answer! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I think these might help:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Don't wait to switch that substrate. You'll be able to spot clean coconut coir and won't have to do a complete replacement again for a long time.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Have a good read of the care sheets linked above and change your substrate as suggested.
Ask if you have any further queries,as you have seen there are always knowledgeable bods around to help out.

Bernadette'sMom

Van Buren, AR
I am building a Tortoise Table this weekend and I am interested in how to keep the humidity up using one as well.... I am planning to have an upper level, will the humidity be better under the second "floor" if I keep it moist in that area?
Dougie I am interested in what style of table you have?
Also he is SOOOOO stinkin cute!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Read as much as you can, and ask ANY question if in doubt.

Good luck.

Magiskebecky

Denmark
I think that he looks fine to me my only concern are his nails maybe go to someone and make him trim it. You can also do it by yourself but you have to watch out for the black parts which are his/her blood vessels of course it want kill him/her but it is really painfull for the tortoise. If your tortoise Can come outside he/she Can naturally make Them shorter by walking on some Stones or something.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I would leave the nails. Russians have long nails naturally. It's only a problem on the wrong substrate. I do see an "overbite" shape of the beak that is not ideal.

Did you change his substrate?