Extremely small common musk turtle - shoft undershell - is it a problem?

reptire

5 Year Member
Its shell lenght is about 2 cms long. I've gotten the information that it's normal for such young ones to have soft shells and it will gradually get harder, however, I'm still worried.
The breeder I bought it from also swears that it's completely fine if I only bask him on the sun in the spring and summer seasons, it will be absolutely fine in the autumn and winter if I use proper frozen food containing both calcium and d3.
How accurate is this information? Should I be worried?

I do everything correctly (sans the UVB in these seasons), meaning good food, perfect water temp, low water level so that it can breath without much swimming, a big terrestrial spot it can climb onto whenever it wants, etc.

CapturedSerpant

5 Year Member
I'm pretty sure the plastron in almost all turtles are somewhat soft when they are hatchlings.

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
Musk turtles are one of the few that actually dont need uvb. A soft shell is pretty normal considering the fact they are under water 98.9% of the time I wouldn't be concerned.

reptire

5 Year Member
Thank God. Then I won't bother with an UVB, I'll just put him out to the sun (in water, of course), in the spring and summer.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
I use a ReptiSun 5.0 UBV fluorescent tube light for my two musk turtles during the day. It adds light for their tank and also gives UVB (which will not hurt them and I am sure helps). When I got my two musk turtles they were the size of a nickel and now are full grown. As they are nocturnal, at night I use a 50 watt night bulb by Exo-Terra so they can bask under it and it simulates light from the moon and helps them see their food. They seem to be very healthy and happy. :)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
If a common musk turtle is eating it will be fine. What is the diet you're aiming for?

reptire

5 Year Member
Frozen mush of various seafoods and vitamins currently, then when it gets bigger I'll move on to frozen smaller fishes.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
reptire said:
Frozen mush of various seafoods and vitamins currently, then when it gets bigger I'll move on to frozen smaller fishes.

That sounds good. I would try a commercial food as well like Reptomin.