escaping tortoise

ariala

5 Year Member
Hello all

I have two Indian Star tortoises, healthy and well.

But my problem is they always try to escape there indoor enclosure and go under the refridgerator to where the compressor unit is located.

Please help.

thank you!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! To give you any kind of help, we will need more information. Things like what size is your enclosure? What temps do you keep it at? Do you have hide(s) in it? How big are your tortoises?

Sounds like you need to raise your enclosure sides, make a lip (especially on the corners) or make a new type of lid to keep them in. Once they learn an escape route, they tend to use it often.

Hiding under the frig once out, is kinda safe on their parts. It's warm and closed in, making them feel safe and secure.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Lakeland/Central FL
After you've closed out their escape routes, make sure they have a spot in their enclosure that's similar to under the fridge -- snug and warm!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Stars are not great climbers in comparison to some other species. You need to improve your enclosure walls.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, the questions Jacqui asked about size of enclosure etc, would be nice for us to know to help you improve. It may be they are in too small of an enclosure and maybe too cold.

Hello and Welcome:)

ariala

5 Year Member
1st I totally apologise for the late reply. My modem burnt itself out and I had no net access.

And next, Thank you so much for replying!

"Once they learn an escape route, they tend to use it often.
It's warm and closed in, making them feel safe and secure. "

That makes a lot of sense. I felt that the enclosure must be a bit chilly. I cant afford a UV lamp right now. Is there any alternative for keeping them warm?
The enclosure is 4 feet x 3 feet approximately.

I did not realise that I need to enclose them that well. I was thinking if I gave them adequate food and water and kept them warm they would be comfy. Sorry about that.

These were star tortoises thrown in a trash bin and picked up by my friend who gave them to me.

thanks yet again and apologises.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You can use regular bulbs (like the ones in your lamp --as long as they are not the coil/curly kind) to emit some additional heat....you can also cover some of the top of the enclosure to help retain heat---just make sure whatever material you use to cover the enclosure does not come in contact with the lamp or torts...

If you do not have an ultraviolet ray bulb then the torts will need actual supervised out door time to get the uv rays they need each day for no less than half an hour in a safe and secure place (you already know yours are climbers so keep this in mind when they are outdoors :D) and you did a fantastic thing in taking them in....How large are they?

You can also use a soda bottle with warm water placed in it to give a warm spot for a short time---you can change them out periodically as needed (until you get the temps warm enough in the enclosure) while you figure your lighting out....

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Where are you located? I bought some dome fixtures from Wal-Mart for $6 and some 75 watt light bulbs on sale for 4 for $1.68 and set up some nice basking spots in three pens for $20. of course, if you are not in the US and close to a Wal-Mart this will not help you. Aslo, they were found in the trash? Wow. Not a typical find.

ariala

5 Year Member
Me and the modem together apologise.

regular bulbs and soda warm water- that's something feasible for me !!

I'll try get them some sun too but will have to supervise with my 5 cats lurking around. :)

Yes! My friend found them in the trash!.. Sad eh :(...He couldn't have kept them.
I'm trying my best...

Thanks a lot lot lot guys!

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Star torts in the trash?!?! WHAAAT!!!???

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
One man's trash is another one's treasure! AnnV, ariala is in another country, quite sure. Glad you are hosting this babies, ariala. They are very fancy jewels in the USA. : )

ariala

5 Year Member
and I'm back!!
With the new modem and report..

Thank you for replying.

Yes trash! ... I'm located in India. They were to be sold illegally and the deal went bad we think. My friend's friend told him that he had dumped them in the trash.... It took me two days to feel like touching them after washing . It's the mind I guess..

It's unlucky for them a bit, because I was a reluctant owner. But with now 4 mewling stray-cats I definitely feel for them. I can't afford anything fancy because I'm a student right now in a borrowed flat. I've put them in the kitchen in a 4x3 feet enclosure and in the time I've had them they have grown. No pyramiding etc.

I feed them greens as per the guides here and powder the calcium tablets and sprinkle them on the food.

I sealed off the sides with brown tape and newspaper...They still try to claw through but cant get through. I want them to stop trying. I dont mind them roaming the flat but the cleaning of urine is horrid and I just cant afford to do that.

If you guys can give me any economical ideas to do the best I can for them please do give me help and links to read.

Love regards and thank you

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If they are native to your country....and if they were illegally taken from the wild by the person who dumped them...then likely this recently took place??? Are they in poor condition? Are they still healthy....why not have the friend of the friend give a general idea of where they retrieved them from and simply put them back? I would not normally suggest this, however, sounds as though they recently were lifted and if they have not been around captive torts/reptiles then this may be the best option for them....as it sounds as though you have limited resources and space :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you can always try to find a new home for them.. Find someone with experience and the proper set up for them.

ariala

5 Year Member
Hello.. Thank you ascott and Laura.

I presume they were illegal because they indeed were dumped in the trash . So the question of returning them to where they were originally so that they be dumped into the trash again, I don't know how that would be. :D

The friend in question died a week ago in a car crash. :rolleyes:

As I have already indicated in my earlier posts, limited resources and space notwithstanding, they are extremely HEALTHY, amazingly and they have grown since the past two months I've had them. They eat well, there is no pyramiding and are active throughout the day. So I guess whatever it is I am doing with my poor resources I seem to be doing well ;)

There is nobody in the neighbourhood I have seen who has kept a tort longer than a month. They usually don't care much to study what is needed and have their torts die on them.

I indeed care about my torts and look for advice on how to care better which I have receieved so much from all of you . Thank you to all who have helped me. I have understood better about torts and become more "experienced" now with handling them :).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know anything about your country, so pardon my ignorance.

If you have a big store that sells household items, you should be able to find a really large plastic tub to keep the tortoises in. Something like this:

http://www.lowes.com/Cleaning-Organ...ntainers/Plastic-Storage-Totes/_/N-1z0yly3/pl

then you buy a couple of fixtures like this:

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/light_dome.php

You can just put a regular light bulb in the reflector like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055T5VW8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Good luck in finding what you need to take care of your new tortoises. They are wonderful animals.