Ernesto settling in

clg89

Sunday I welcomed ernesto (4 month old hermann) to my family, this is my first time keeping a tortoise as a pet and have some questions.
He seems to be acclimating okay but does not seem to be eating, i feed him in the morning with kale, and some red leaf lettuce, is that good?
The temp in his turtle table is 95 in the basking spot and in the opposite corner its around 70. what is the ideal humility the table is 3ft x 2ft.
As for vegetation inside the cage should i use a fake plant or a real one he could snack on?
thanks
Chris

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
welcome the the forum! read this entire care sheet it will help you a lot http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/ :). i like using live plants in my torts enclosures so the torts can munch on them when they get hungry. kale and lettuce are good treats for your tort, but they should have a large assortment of nontoxic weeds to eat. like dandelion or mallow. also mazuri tortoise food is really good for torts.

clg89

Hahaha I know! I have had a lot of pets growing up but this is my first tort and he is defiantly the most satisfying! Love the little guy!