settling in

Status
Not open for further replies.

TotallyRad

5 Year Member
I am the VERY proud owner of a 9 month old radiated. She arrived yesterday. Taking her time settling in, does not seem to wonder around much as of now, prob still scared from a move. Very alert and responsice however. I walk in the room and can see her awareness of any noise made :) so cute.

I was very surprized to see her even taking some nibbles from some greens the first day! Figured she would eat right away but I was wrong :p

Got a cool Rad story you wanna share? how about personalities? I have heard they have awesome personalities compared to some other species and I can't wait to see the attitude on my girl:D:D.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
TotallyRad said:
I am the VERY proud owner of a 9 month old radiated. She arrived yesterday. Taking her time settling in, does not seem to wonder around much as of now, prob still scared from a move. Very alert and responsice however. I walk in the room and can see her awareness of any noise made :) so cute.

I was very surprized to see her even taking some nibbles from some greens the first day! Figured she would eat right away but I was wrong :p

Got a cool Rad story you wanna share? how about personalities? I have heard they have awesome personalities compared to some other species and I can't wait to see the attitude on my girl:D:D.

It has been my experience that it does take them a bit to settle in but once they do they are pretty active. I dont keep my humidity to high on mine but they seem to be more active when it is more humid. So why on earth didnt you post a picture?????????:D Where in the world do you live

TotallyRad

5 Year Member
Hello Bigred, I have seen your torts for a while now and...simply beautiful! I live in florida currently. I have the setup between 80-99% humidity so that should be good.
She ate out of my hand 10 min ago for the first time! TRUST is coming!! Feels great.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
TotallyRad said:
here is a pic of my little girl!

Very beautiful little tort with some nice color, you should get good pictures of her and document her growth and changing colors. They are always evolving and new colors always coming in. The only problem with these guys is it wont be long before you want another:D You live in a good state as far as humidity. Do you have UVB for her, it is very important for thes guys growth

TotallyRad

5 Year Member
bigred said:
TotallyRad said:

Very beautiful little tort with some nice color, you should get good pictures of her and document her growth and changing colors. They are always evolving and new colors always coming in. The only problem with these guys is it wont be long before you want another:D You live in a good state as far as humidity. Do you have UVB for her, it is very important for thes guys growth

Thanks! I will def be taking pics, probably thousands lol...I already want another lol....I got her with some good yellow genes...maybe one day I can find a super yellow male and pair them :) Way down the road though I know.

I do not have a uvb, I am glad you mentioned that. Which do you recommend? Thanks!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
TotallyRad said:
bigred said:
TotallyRad said:

Thanks! I will def be taking pics, probably thousands lol...I already want another lol....I got her with some good yellow genes...maybe one day I can find a super yellow male and pair them :) Way down the road though I know.

I do not have a uvb, I am glad you mentioned that. Which do you recommend? Thanks!

I use a MVB 100 watt Zoo med powersun, it works for heat and light as well. The only reason I mention this,,,, I had a friend of mine who had radiated that started to get a bit of a soft shell because of no UVB. He thought summer sun was enough, Its not especially fot the little guys. Just dont want to see your tort have problems

TotallyRad

5 Year Member
bigred said:
TotallyRad said:
bigred said:
TotallyRad said:

I use a MVB 100 watt Zoo med powersun, it works for heat and light as well. The only reason I mention this,,,, I had a friend of mine who had radiated that started to get a bit of a soft shell because of no UVB. He thought summer sun was enough, Its not especially fot the little guys. Just dont want to see your tort have problems

Sir I cannot thank you enough for the info as I prob would not have picked one up thinking the sun was enough as well. I couldnt find much info on that matter. I want the best for her, so thanks.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Your welcome, Look up Mercury Vapor Bulbs = MVB They are kind of expensive 50 to 60 dollars but worth every penny to help your tort develop properly. If you need anything you can pm me anytime. Good luck with the little beauty

TotallyRad

5 Year Member
appreciate the info, picked up a 160w mvb. We will allow no soft shell here :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Radiateds are great. For the first 3-5 years mine was pretty shy. But each year that progressed he got much more established. He is like a puppy now at 9 years old.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
TotallyRad said:
appreciate the info, picked up a 160w mvb. We will allow no soft shell here :)

When summer comes and you are able to get him some real sun that should be good enough. You really need the bulb for indoor winter months. Keep us updated on your progress with this little tort

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
These guys never cease to amaze me with how beautiful their shells are. I think they are pretty comparable to a star tortoise, shell pattern wise, but with MORE color! If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost?

TotallyRad

5 Year Member
Blake m said:
These guys never cease to amaze me with how beautiful their shells are. I think they are pretty comparable to a star tortoise, shell pattern wise, but with MORE color! If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost?

Yes the indian stars have quite some resemblance, but in my opinion they just dont compare :p

Prices on these guys vary depending on where you are from, availablility, genes, traits, ets....I am from florida where a tort like this can go from $1k-$3k based on traits and genes. As they become more popular and captive programs become more successful, perhaps the price may come down in the next few yrs, but hey if we knew things like that we all would have bought all the gold we could 10 years ago :)

TotallyRad

5 Year Member
A few pics after 1 week of settling in.
Also a first time she dug into the mazuri, quite happy about that. I think next week will show a larger weight difference with the mazuri chomping:)

View attachment 39487

View attachment 39488

View attachment 39489

Shelly5 3:13:13.JPG

and I know I am a lucky man when the wife gives up the bath tub for a home!
Any input on the enclosure? Picked up the plastic top from home depot for $14 and cut it myself to fit, it is for roofing, but works great for holding in precious moisture!
View attachment 39491

Last edited by a moderator:

TotallyRad

5 Year Member
Sorry thought this was already posted. This was 1 week ago.

Shelly 3:6:13.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.