Erika Outside

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Good supplies for tortoise cage View attachment 205465
I'm sorry to butt in here but actually those are not the best tortoise supplies. You want to avoid pebbles that are small enough for the tortoise to swallow or get into their mouth. And that ramp bowl is actually not safe, they can get high centered and flipped over into it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm sorry to butt in here but actually those are not the best tortoise supplies. You want to avoid pebbles that are small enough for the tortoise to swallow or get into their mouth. And that ramp bowl is actually not safe, they can get high centered and flipped over into it.
I agree completely! Those photos are of things to avoid like the plague!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I had a different kind of water bowl/dish but keeping it in the corner somehow encouraged my Russian to climb it and flip himself over in it. He was unable to right himself because his claws couldn't reach the substrate. Luckily his mommy was there to lend a hand. The memory still scares me and now I always tell beginner keepers that you don't want to take a chance with someone you love so much! :<3:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I had a different kind of water bowl/dish but keeping it in the corner somehow encouraged my Russian to climb it and flip himself over in it. He was unable to right himself because his claws couldn't reach the substrate. Luckily his mommy was there to lend a hand. The memory still scares me and now I always tell beginner keepers that you don't want to take a chance with someone you love so much! :<3:

And avoid putting the water bowl in the corner.