Hermann's Outside Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern, PA, USA
aa01.jpgelvira01.jpgI just put together a chicken wire pen the 12'x15' (roughly) for my herd this spring and summer...is that big enough for 3 Hermann's?

Pics are of them enjoying it today during a warm spell.

BTW the smaller one (Elvira)-doesn't currently live with the two older ones (Erika & Hermann) although they've had a play date and seem to get along. I've kept Hermann separate only when he gets really 'horny' for lack of another word. He's never bit or tried to dominate Erika except occasional mating attempts that Erika rejects. I've had Erika and Hermann for 2.5 years and Elvira for 9 months.

Last edited by a moderator:

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I dont know much about Hermanns so I cant help you with your question. I just wanted to say BEAUTIFUL tortoises!! They look very happy :) :)
Great pics!!

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
Well after I built my enclosure I let my tortoise's roam. I kept checking on and nothing was wrong until 3:30. Two of my three Hermann's torts were gone.

I looked around an found the spot by the gate that the used to make their getaway. I looked for them for approximately 30 seconds...then I heard it.

The unmistakeable sound of tortoise fornication, around the corner, in my neighbor's flower bed. Thankfully spring is in the air!

This is the second time my Erika has escaped, the first for Hermann.

Lesson learned...no cage is tort proof. I made sure now that there isn't even a inch of space that one could get out from. I still plan to only let them have supervised outings until they show me there are no potential escape routes.

ScottishFish

5 Year Member
Scotland
Do you have some pictures of the enclosure? Maybe then we could help you out with making it tort proof? :)

1 Eastern Hermanns Tortoise 2.5yo

Andrea M

5 Year Member
Beautiful tortoises, their shells are soooo smooth, they're obviously well loved and cared for

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Nice Hermann's. I wonder if you blocked their view, outside of the pen,if this would help. I successfully learned to use bricks to block the tortoises from seeing out.
It is as if they don't miss what they cannot see.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
2nd ScottishFish's idea...put up good pics, from all angles, and we can probably help you make it escape-proof.

And, yes, 12' X 15' is a decent size for your three. (my 4's enclosure was 5' X 8', but I got busy over the winter, while they lived inside, and added-on to it, so now it's 8' X 16'...about tripling the space for them, as I plan to add 3 or 4 more females, eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.