Dose my russian tortoises need a heat bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samparker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
Hey guys, I was visiting family yesterday (showing off new pics of my little friends) and they seen my heat bulb and were like " Sam what u got a bulb in there for, they don't need any thing but a uv bulb. I have looked online but there is no clear u have to have a light on,

I live in the uk and it is rare that my house is cold, when I picked the tortoises up from the sellers yesterday they had a Normal house bulb in the vivarium but it was blown so I replaced it with a heat bulb when I got home, this morning I came down the stairs and switched the plug to the uv light on but I forgot to put the bulb on, and they came out and started eating.

Any sussgestions?

Thanks guys xx

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Russians do need heating, House heating would not be sufficient.
You will need some proper heating for him I winter!
Something like a ceramic heater, unless you want to hibernate him.

babylove6635

5 Year Member
YES THEY NEED A BASKING AREA. IT HELPS WITH THE PROSSES OF CALCIUM AND SO THEY DONT GET BONE DESEESE. SORRY FOR THE SPELLING

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Russians should have a bulb that produces temperatures of 32-40.5c under it to allow basking during the daytime. The ambient heat within the enclosure during the daytime should be 23.5-29c with the middle of that range being best. At night there should be no need for heat unless the enclosure will consistently be exposed to temperatures below 13c. There should be a temperature differential between day and night. In order to keep your tortoise active and healthy active throughout the cooler months when the temperatures and light duration are less the lights should be on a minimum of 12 hours daily and 14-16 would be better. Heat and light can be achieved together with a reptile suitable mercury vapor bulb (MVB). This type of light produces, heat, light and the necessary uvb rays to encourage proper digestion and health. Or a combination of a standard incandescent bulb that will produce enough heat for the basking temperatures listed above and a flourescent uvb lamp can be used together.

Samparker

5 Year Member
Manchester
thanks guys, i am just about to upload some more photo's i am abit curious about baxters shell

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
It's a shame that your friends only told you that you need a UV bulb, because your tortoise needs a hot spot to bask in. Without that, he won't be able to digest his food. He might not even develop an appetite. If he did have an appetite, then he could eat all he wants, but would starve without a good basking temperature. Even more likely than that, the food in his belly would rot, and that could kill him. As GB said, a good ambient temperature is in the 20s C (70s F), and a good basking temperature is around 35 C (95 F).

Samparker

5 Year Member
Manchester
GeoTerraTestudo said:
It's a shame that your friends only told you that you need a UV bulb, because your tortoise needs a hot spot to bask in. Without that, he won't be able to digest his food. He might not even develop an appetite. If he did have an appetite, then he could eat all he wants, but would starve without a good basking temperature. Even more likely than that, the food in his belly would rot, and that could kill him. As GB said, a good ambient temperature is in the 20s C (70s F), and a good basking temperature is around 35 C (95 F).

thanks guys ive kept my bulb in there now i have uploaded a photo to Baxter and Dollys Facebook page in the Tortoise Forum album i am worried about baxters shell facebook.com/BaxterandDolly

Status
Not open for further replies.