Dog emergency

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
My sister and I visited our mom yesterday, and stayed for the night, and came back this morning. She has a chiuhahua mix dog, and he was fine this morning. Then my sister and I left, and our parents left after us, and we got back around the same time, and my sister noticed her dog's eye (Damon) was swollen along with his muzzle. We kept an eye on it throughout the day, and the swelling went down. Well, she just came downstairs and he followed, and now his other eye is swollen. Does anyone have any ideas on the cause, or something to help it? We gave him an appropriate amount of benadryl. Should we get him to the vet tomorrow?
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381535852.112530.jpg
This is what he currently looks like.

Sent from my iPod touch using TortForum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is he acting okay otherwise? If so, then I would wait until tomorrow. If it's the same, I would take him in. I would also try to figure out if it is something he could be allergic too. Like, new cat litter, disinfectant spray, new dog bedding, etc.
Let us know how things go. Poor pup.:(

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
wellington said:
Is he acting okay otherwise? If so, then I would wait until tomorrow. If it's the same, I would take him in. I would also try to figure out if it is something he could be allergic too. Like, new cat litter, disinfectant spray, new dog bedding, etc.
Let us know how things go. Poor pup.:(

He is acting perfectly normal besides the swelling. I just got a moses in a basket plant, and before getting it, I found out dogs are allergic to it. But I didn't think her could reach it where I had it placed. I'll update tomorrow.

cyan

10 Year Member!
Georgia
It's an allergic reaction to something. Possibly a bee sting or bug bite. Give another dose of benedryl (1mg/lb) and see how he is in the morning. Sometimes it also takes a dose of steroids to stop the cycle. Good luck!
Cyndi, RVT

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Has he had shots or any other type of medication or topical application?

Ann from CT

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
AnnV said:
Has he had shots or any other type of medication or topical application?

Ann from CT

No, he was by himself for at least three hours with our other two dogs. So anything could have happened. But he stays upstairs, and the other two stay downstairs while we are gone to avoid any possible conflict.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
This happened to my dog over the summer. It got worse the next day, the eye started bulging. She had to go to the vet for treatment. Antibiotics and steroids. Something like this can be caused by a sting, trauma to the head, or an oral problem.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I agree with all of the above. I think you should try the Benadryl suggestion. Seems to help with mine when needed. If it gets worse, then okay, but hopefully it will be better in a day or two. Little doggies with other doggies always seem to get the bumps and bruises, or the little bites.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
So we woke up this morning, and he's perfectly fine now. He is still acting the same, and the swelling is gone. Thanks for the help everyone!