dog bit tortoise

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Could it be lack of sunshine?
If you have a uvb lamp which I'm assuming you do unless you are lucky enough to live somewhere where it is really warm and sunny at the moment then it shouldn't be that. In the uk our torts have to rely on artificial uvb for most of the year.
Having read Kirsty's post I think would be going back to the vet asap in case it is blood cell (anaemia or infection from the dog bite related).
I will tag @Tom and @yvonne in case they have seen this in any if their torts.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I must say Beasties whole body changed in colour but the neck was certainly the most noticeable part. I think that maybe because the skin on the tortoises neck is thinner than else where it's more visible. I think in any case your wee guy needs to go to the vet :( when I asked my vet about beastie looking anemic he said the loss in colour has something to do with the blood cells. I can't remember exactly what he said though. I actually have beastie at the vets tomorrow morning and I'm happy to ask the question again and let you know
Thanks Kirsty!

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
Afternoon :)
So I spoke to my vet this morning regarding beastie, lab results came back and he is on the right meds :)

Regarding the anemia... I asked my vet again why they go anemic and he said that when tortoises are ill they produce less red blood cells which in turn flushes the colour from your tortoise. So in essence it could mean that anything is causing your tortoise to look anemic, but what is certain is that there is something wrong.
I would suggest you get your little guy to the vet as soon as you are able to try and nail this down. Sorry I couldn't be much more help.

Keep me updated with progress though! I really want to make sure he is ok

Thank you very much. Will phone her on Monday. I am limited as she is not a reptile vet and where I stay there arnt any. Will keep you updated.

No i do not have a uvb lamp. Where I live it is really warm most of the time so he lives outdoors. Since the bite he has been indoors which means no sun.. i have been taking him outside for a bit of sun the last few days. Thank you very much :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
No i do not have a uvb lamp. Where I live it is really warm most of the time so he lives outdoors. Since the bite he has been indoors which means no sun.. i have been taking him outside for a bit of sun the last few days. Thank you very much :)
Do you have any sort of extra heat for him while he is indoors? Alaskamike and Jodie recommended temps of around 85'-90'F round the clock on page 1 of your thread so I hope you have followed their advice. While he is sick he needs to be kept warm at all times and have uvb so that he can digest and absorb not just his food but his meds too.
In the UK vets may not advertise themselves specifically as reptile vets or herpetologists but may have one on their staff so it may be worth ringing around. I do hope he will be OK.

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
Do you have any sort of extra heat for him while he is indoors? Alaskamike and Jodie recommended temps of around 85'-90'F round the clock on page 1 of your thread so I hope you have followed their advice. While he is sick he needs to be kept warm at all times and have uvb so that he can digest and absorb not just his food but his meds too.
In the UK vets may not advertise themselves specifically as reptile vets or herpetologists but may have one on their staff so it may be worth ringing around. I do hope he will be OK.
Agree with you 100% Lyn - it's really important they are kept warm, particularly when they aren't well. Where are you from? There's a vets list kept on the forum I can try and dig out for you