dog bit tortoise

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Is Hendry using his legs now?

No, not yet. They tried to weigh him but he is too small for their scale. Need to get an electric kitchen scale to weigh him so that the vet knows what dosage to give him.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It would be best for the little tort if you do that asap.
If infection sets in that could be fatal for your tort.

Re worms has he had a faecal test for those?
I think I would get him better from the bites first because you don't want him on too many meds at once.

Alaskamike

South Florida
You can get a little digital kitchen scale ( I bought mine for like $12 at Wallmart)

It's good to have one anyway to insure your tortoise is putting on weight. I weigh all mine once a month.

Lettus is not bad for them. It just has very little nutrient. So should only be fed a little There is a salad mix called Spring Mix that I like for babies. Get the one that is not mostly spinach. Great to sprinkle calcium powder on.

Personally I would not worm him while recovering from an injury. Too much stress. He should be fecal checked first - I'm not a fan of worming w/o need. Too stressful.

You know we are all pulling for you !
Tortoises are tough little things.
Keep him well hydrated & warm.
Glad you reached out for help

Than
You can get a little digital kitchen scale ( I bought mine for like $12 at Wallmart)

It's good to have one anyway to insure your tortoise is putting on weight. I weigh all mine once a month.

Lettus is not bad for them. It just has very little nutrient. So should only be fed a little There is a salad mix called Spring Mix that I like for babies. Get the one that is not mostly spinach. Great to sprinkle calcium powder on.

Personally I would not worm him while recovering from an injury. Too much stress. He should be fecal checked first - I'm not a fan of worming w/o need. Too stressful.

You know we are all pulling for you !
Tortoises are tough little things.
Keep him well hydrated & warm.
Glad you reached out for help
Thank you:) appreciate all the advice

Hi Guys, Hendry seems to have discolouration on his neck should i be concerned? He does not seem to enjoy getting soaked any 20151126_172540.jpg more either..

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't really know but I'm wondering if that paleness could be anaemia. Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge about tort ailments will be along soon.

What's the latest on the dog bite? Has he had a course of antibiotics and recovered the use of his legs?

I hope not... he went for three over three consecutive days. His tummy worked on those days but hasnt since.. back legs still not working but he has feeling them more in the one than the other. The shell seems to be healing though. I am wondering if he shouldnt go for more..

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I hope not... he went for three over three consecutive days. His tummy worked on those days but hasnt since.. back legs still not working but he has feeling them more in the one than the other. The shell seems to be healing though. I am wondering if he shouldnt go for more..
@kirsty Johnston has a tort being treated for anaemia at the moment. I've tagged her so she can tell you if it looks like anything like the symptoms her tort has.
Has the vet x rayed the legs/spine?

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
@kirsty Johnston has a tort being treated for anaemia at the moment. I've tagged her so she can tell you if it looks like anything like the symptoms her tort has.
Has the vet x rayed the legs/spine?
Hello!
I'm very sorry to read your story - seems like the little guy has had. Bit of a rough time :(

I recently moved home and it distressed my tortoise massively which caused him to stop eating, drinking and basking and over time the colour completely flushed out of him. Every time I moved him under his light he would just slowly creep back in to his hide - it was really heart breaking :( I was in and out the vets several times and my vet even came round to my house to look at my set up etc because we couldn't find out what was wrong. When we last visited 2 weeks ago my vet checked his mouth and there was tiny yellowish spots there which were barely even noticeable - this was probably the 4th time or so his mouth has been checked. So it turns out he has mouth rot
The vet took a swap of his mouth and it's currently sitting in a lab for the bacteria to grow so we can determine exactly what the problem is. In the mean time I am continuing to soak him every day and he has two different meds I need to give him. One is called Baytril and it's an antibiotic, the other is called Metacam and it's a pain killer.
My tortoise is still not 100% but he did eat yesterday for the 1st time in a long time so I'm happy we are beginning to make progress.

I hope the little guy gets better soon

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hello!
I'm very sorry to read your story - seems like the little guy has had. Bit of a rough time :(

I recently moved home and it distressed my tortoise massively which caused him to stop eating, drinking and basking and over time the colour completely flushed out of him. Every time I moved him under his light he would just slowly creep back in to his hide - it was really heart breaking :( I was in and out the vets several times and my vet even came round to my house to look at my set up etc because we couldn't find out what was wrong. When we last visited 2 weeks ago my vet checked his mouth and there was tiny yellowish spots there which were barely even noticeable - this was probably the 4th time or so his mouth has been checked. So it turns out he has mouth rot
The vet took a swap of his mouth and it's currently sitting in a lab for the bacteria to grow so we can determine exactly what the problem is. In the mean time I am continuing to soak him every day and he has two different meds I need to give him. One is called Baytril and it's an antibiotic, the other is called Metacam and it's a pain killer.
My tortoise is still not 100% but he did eat yesterday for the 1st time in a long time so I'm happy we are beginning to make progress.

Thanks Kirsty - did your tort lose colour in his neck as Hendry seems to be doing in his pic above? Just wondering if he did whether Hendry needs to be tested for anaemia too.

Sorry to hear.. glad
Hello!

your tort is doing better. Hendry eats daily but doesnt poo... and i am concedned about the colour.. hi is loosing colour by the back legs as well. Do you keep him in the water even when he tries to escape?

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
Thanks Kirsty - did your tort lose colour in his neck as Hendry seems to be doing in his pic above? Just wondering if he did whether Hendry needs to be tested for anaemia too.
I must say Beasties whole body changed in colour but the neck was certainly the most noticeable part. I think that maybe because the skin on the tortoises neck is thinner than else where it's more visible. I think in any case your wee guy needs to go to the vet :( when I asked my vet about beastie looking anemic he said the loss in colour has something to do with the blood cells. I can't remember exactly what he said though. I actually have beastie at the vets tomorrow morning and I'm happy to ask the question again and let you know