Do russians grow all there life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikolai13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Do russians ever get done rowing or do they grow all their life , and if anyone has a pictureof a full sized male , post it please!!!! I miss my tort being tiny...

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
All reptiles have what's called indeterminate growth, meaning that unlike birds and mammals, they continue to grow throughout their lives. Having said that, beyond a certain size, their growth rate does slow down considerably, so it is possible to speak of a "maximum" size for a tortoise. Males grow to 5-6" SCL, females 7-8" SCL. Some males can reach 8" and some females 10", but that's not typical.

There some folks here on TFO with nice, big males and massive female Russians. Hopefully they'll share their pix with us.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
This male is pretty decent size. Close to 7". I have pretty sausagely big hands :D

Then a normalish sized male with a small female

Then Sometimes they do get rather large indeed. This is a female almost 8"

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well I did want to do hand modeling but yah know :D lol kidding. yeah that male is a big very aggressive one for sure. He gets supervised breeding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Kelly, it looks like that big male might have bashed your tape measure... :) Nice photos.

Another good explanation GTT.

Status
Not open for further replies.