YAY Finally im getting 2 baby Russians

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcramirez

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
hi everyone..
im getting 2 baby russians this Saturday.. i know everything about them now.. but do i have to do anything different with a baby than an adult..?
i looked all over the site and web.. but nothing different comes out..
please help me make them they grow big and healthy.. :)
ill post some pics a soon as i get them..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Babies need lots of calcium and sunshine for strong shells and bones and lots of soaks, besides that not much else.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
While they are babies they should cohabit OK.

However in a couple of years be prepared to separate them permanently.

Most torts are naturally solitary in the wild and many do not share nicely as they grow up regardless of gender. They do not want or need company. They do not get lonely.

Russians are possibly the worst at sharing space and food of all the species. Blood is frequently drawn in their fights. If and when this occurs, they will need separate accommodation and probably on a permanent basus.

Cadance

5 Year Member
I too am getting my first hatchling RT this week. We have 2 right now that we have been told are male and female they are about 5-6 years old they are living together and seem to be ok knock on wood their new enclosure that I will be building will have places where I can separate them if needed. Make sure to post pictures when you get your little one.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You can be told anything they like. They can be bred to be male/female by controlling incubation temperature, but it's not 100% accurate unfortunately.

Sexing a tortoise is at best inaccurate until they are 5-10 years of age. Gender doesn't matter when it comes to fighting. they defend their territory, hidey holes, food... regardless of gender.

When separating warring Russians, you need 2 completely separate enclosures. Hidey holes can help to prevent fighting, but if they are in the same enclosure they will probably seek each other out and fight drawing blood as they get older.

jcramirez

5 Year Member
Chicago
im aware that i will need to separate them as they get older.. i have plenty space for. them..
yes ill post pics.. i just can't wait..
thanks everyone for the help.. :)

jcramirez

5 Year Member
Chicago
how can i post pictures from my phone..?
my 2 russians babies are doing fine..
the little one (chikis) likes to burrow its self and almost sleeps all day.. i try to get her out to eat and get some sunshine and 3/4 times a day.. is very active when not sleeping..
arnold is a little more big.. walks aroud really slowly looks aroud every step it gives.. its eating most of time...
so far they are doing fine living together, i guess because they're babies..
but ill separate when they get a little big..
im giving them spring mix(organic) and dandelions.. also some food–vitamin (fortified food ZILLA)..
also im rubbing a conditioner(vita shell)..
after i suck them in warm water for 20mnts..
what else should i feed them?

JR
:)

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
Hey Julio sounds like they are doing well. Sorry can't help with posting pics from your phone. I am not sure what you are talking about with the food-vitamin, but the only supplement i give mine is a product called TNT from carolinapetsupply.com and you can skip the vita shell it really doesn't do anything for them.

Jon

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Here are a couple of good links about edible plants,
http://russiantortoise.org/edible_plants.htm

And a list of greens to offer (be sure to add safe wild plants like dandelion!),
http://russiantortoise.org/russiantortoisediet.htm

A lot of us don't use Vitashell, it seems more cosmetic than anything. Soaking is the best way to keep them hydrated and keep their shells healthy, along with calcium rich foods, supplements sprinkled on their food a couple of times per week, and SUN, sun sun....
This is a nice supplement for Russians:
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=58

jcramirez

5 Year Member
Chicago
hi jon.. yes they are doing fine..
what can i do to keep the little one more active.? or is it normal that its sleeping almost all the time..!!
im buying some of that TNT i hope they don't explote lol
thanks linnedyt :) ill give them something different tomorrow..

JR :)

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
That one just like all of my hatchlings like to spend a lot of time burrowed. I think it is a natural defense for them. Hide most of the day run out and eat and then hide some more. Give it some time and you will start to see it hanging out more often.

Jon

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I have one of Jon's baby tortoises as well. I also have another baby that is younger. They do sleep a lot, but you have to keep in mind they are just little babies! They need to sleep. I think it's adorable watching then eat. Then fall asleep, then eat, then fall asleep and so goes the day, lol! They are still VERY small, I think the sleeping is normal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are they in the same enclosure?

The little might also be hiding from the bigger more active one.

jcramirez

5 Year Member
Chicago
i thought it was something normal too.. but just making sure.. i don't want them getting sick...
well i don't think is hiding from the other one.. they sleep together and eat from the same leaf.. they get along pretty well
so i think is just because they are babies chikis(smallest rt) just pee on my hand as i was feeding it lol.
ugh i want to post pics.. ill try in a minute from my computer..
one question is it safe to feed them mint leafs.?
thanks jon, laurie and tom.. :)

yay pics:D

i dont know how post many pics at once ...
im slow lol ..[/b][/size]

Attachments

• 2012-04-21 18.38.23.jpg
    2012-04-21 18.38.23.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 2012-04-24 16.25.43#1.jpg
    2012-04-24 16.25.43#1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 28
Status
Not open for further replies.