Do his claws need cutting, if so, how?

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Do Marley's claws need cutting now? I'm not sure how long they're meant to be. He's a leopard tortoise so I know they're not meant to be very long, like, say, a Russian's would be.

Here are pictures of one of his front feet, and one of his back. If they do need cutting, where do I cut them up to? I REALLY don't want to make him bleed. Would it be wiser to take him to a vet if I'm unsure of what I'm doing or is it pretty easy?

FRONT FOOT:

zugpzm.jpg

BACK FOOT:

2jffyox.jpg

SOME MORE PICS:

11aagw4.jpg

9iu3x4.jpg

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
If you've never done it before, then YES, please go to the vet. Most vets will be happy to explain the proper way to handle at-home maintenance. To me, his nails do not look too long, but I don't have a Leopard. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Yeah I think I would take him to the vet, I just need to know if they need doing first because some vets will do procedures just for the money and I'd hate them to hurt him if they don't need cutting. Im starting to think they're getting too long because they curl over his feet and I don't want them to affect his walking.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
From the pictures I have seen on here your torts nails are fine. I had the recommendation given to me to feed on a slate tile, however Benny refused to eat on it, so instead I have set up stones that he must walk across to get to his favourite burrow. This helps to file down the nails

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No...those nails are just fine.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I must agree with Yvonne, they do not need cutting. But, so they don't ever need cutting, hopefully, be sure to feed on a flat ruff surface, like a piece of slate of large flat rock. This will help nails and beak. Also, having some flat rocks to walk over will help to keep them filed too.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Okay, thanks everyone. I was just worried they were growing over his foot!? Thought they were too long. I'll get some rocks. He already eats on slate but they don't wear his claws down wear much, his beak stays fairly short though.