Cutting claws

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
My three toed box turtle was rescued from someone else. When I got her, I noticed her back claws on the left were long. They need to be trimmed . Can I do this with a dog nail cutter? I have never had to cut turtle nails before and don't want to hurt her.

image.jpeg

She was in a one foot by three foot tank with no substrate, no light, and only fed dry dog food.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
My three toed box turtle was rescued from someone else. When I got her, I noticed her back claws on the left were long. They need to be trimmed . Can I do this with a dog nail cutter? I have never had to cut turtle nails before and don't want to hurt her.

View attachment 162156

She was in a one foot by three foot tank with no substrate, no light, and only fed dry dog food.
I also have another question. I don't think my three toed box turtle was ever soaked before I got her. She seems to be very nerves or scared every time I put her in water. Should I keep trying? Hat are your suggestions to make it more comfortable for her?

Banjos n Boxies

Iowa
Some people do use clippers. But since you're building what looks to be a pretty high-speed enclosure, I would make sure she has somewhere to burrow. She should then wear her claws down on her own with less fighting and less turtle trauma.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
They look past the point where they will naturally wear down. Dog clippers will work - make sure you can see the vein line in the nail (it may be quite long), only take off a little at a time if you can't see it well.

For soaking, a tall sided, opaque bucket is ideal. Make sure the water is a comfortable temperature. Beyond that, you can't do too much else. If it scrambles around, at least it's getting exercise. It doesn't have to enjoy it to get the benefit for the soak.

Berkeley

To calm it a little while it is soaking, you can try including some leaves, sphagnum moss or even an old clean washcloth in the water. Many times turtles and tortoises that are not used to getting soaked freak out because they feel insecure and like they are going to slip on the smooth bottom of the container. Add some traction and see if that doesn't help calm it a little bit. Even pebbles or little rocks will work. Shallow water in the soaking container is also key- start with just enough to get the plastron and the toes wet, then as you do later soakings you can deepen the water a little bit each time you soak the turtle.

I agree with Sarah's description for nail trimming above. Do just a little bit at a time, and watch for that vein in the center of the nail.
If the claw splits and starts tearing, cleanly trim off what you can and then file the remainder down with an emery board. Then let it sit for a couple of days and try again another time.

Good luck!
--Berkeley

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Personally I prefer the scissor type feline nail trimmers to guillotine style dog clippers for reptiles. I've had far fewer issues with splitting. And like Sarah said, just a little at a time as the nail quick can grow quite long as well.