Discussion

RMTrescue

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta
Out of curiosity. What made you choose a tortoise as a pet? How did you get your first? How many do you have now? What’s your ultimate tortoise goal?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I didn't choose one. I got a boyfriend who was given a tortoise for his 7th birthday for reasons he still cannot entirely fathom.

The tortoise and my (now) husband came as a package deal well over thirty years ago :D

I stuck with one tort and one husband and have no desire to change that!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
An irresponsible co worker of mine bought a pair of Redfoot at a reptile show and soon became overwhelmed.
He asked if I wanted them. Because I was known for helping animals in distress. I had no idea either. And I kept them as a pair.
Over the years I've learned a lot. This forum has added a lot to that. And I now feel that I provide very nice, comfortable homes for my animals.
I routinely get Redfoot from others that cant keep them. I rehome them after they are well. They often arrive sick. It's usually expensive. But I have a great vet.
I've had as many as 8 at one time. Now just 2.
I never can guess what will happen next. But I'd be surprised if the number stayed at 2 for very long.
I want to educate new keepers and rehome animals that will be well cared for for their entire lives. I avoid anyone that seems to want a tortoise as an impulse purchase or can't PROVE that they have a proper place for one to live a very long time.
I've met a lot of great people along the way through this hobby. And this area South Florida has a lot of Redfoot tortoises. I'd say too many.

drew54

Indiana
I own a sulcata hatchling. I have one and hope to get a leopard within the next year or so. There is a guy that lives close to me on the edge of town. He has a14 year old male sulcata and a year old juvenile. My family and I drove by his house and I seen his adult running his laps around his enclosure. It was the most amazing and beautiful animal I had seen. I fell in love with tortoises after that. I had went to his house and talked to him for several hours about everything tortoise. And that led me to getting my first tort. I would say that my ultimate goal right now is to make sure that my husbandry is on point before invest in getting a leopard. And once I get a bigger place and I can accommodate rescues I hope that I can give the tortoises here in my state a good chance at a better life. I had no idea of how many people in Indiana have tortoises and how many decide later they don't want them. But that's way in the future right now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mom, Will You Take My Turtles?

By Yvonne Gomez

(Appx 1990)

Many years ago, my son bought a home of his own and started to accumulate his own pets. First of all he “rescued” (read bought) a female box turtle with puffy eyes that was being kept in the water turtle enclosure in a local pet store. Then another such box turtle, then a Gopherus agassizii that a co-worker’s father had run over with the disc in his vineyard….well, you get the idea.

Things went along smoothly for months. He built separate pens for each kind of turtle he had. He nursed them all back to health and he had a happy, healthy family of turtles and tortoises.

But then came the desire to get a rottweiler puppy. Big mistake! The puppy decided that all these little crawly, wiggly things in “his” backyard were just wonderful to chew on.

I doubt my son gave a second thought to which came first, the turtle or the pup. He had fallen in love with the pup, and the turtles just had to go! “Mom, will you take my turtles?”

I had a couple tortoises when I was first married, forty or fifty years ago, but I never really had an affinity for them. It was just something you had out in the backyard. But I had become a more sensitive person in my old age, and decided if I were to start caring for these animals, I needed to do some research and find out how they should be cared for…do it the right way. This was before computers…you know, the olden days! I bought every book I could find on the subject, some good – some bad – some in between. I was one of the first subscribers to Reptiles magazine. I started a turtle club in my city. And guess what? I discovered you can’t just have one or two turtles.

When people find out you like turtles, they bring you more. Or when you go to the pet store for cat food and see a different kind of turtle, you just have to buy it!

I’ve been in the “turtle business” for about 35 years now. I have reached the point where I realize I have to say “no” occasionally. I have stopped diversifying and have settled into keeping only a few different species. My whole property is covered with turtle and tortoise pens. There is no “front yard,” only tortoise pens. There is no “back yard,” only tortoise pens.

I recognized quite early on that there was a need for a turtle rescue in my city. At first I operated the rescue through the local turtle club, but now I’m totally on my own. I have a long list of people waiting to adopt, and I receive turtles and tortoises weekly. I keep them for a period of two weeks just to make sure there isn’t a previous owner looking for them. During this time I make sure the animal is eating and looks healthy.

When it’s time to find a home for my animals, I make an appointment and go look at the prospective owner’s habitat.

I try to place water turtles in a home where they can be outside in a pond, and I like for tortoises to have their own separate pen, not to be allowed to roam freely in the yard. The majority of the animals I receive have been lost & found. This means the previous home was not secure. Either a gate was left open or he dug out under the fence, or whatever. This is why I caution people to build him a separate pen.

I believe that each different type of turtle or tortoise needs its own enclosure, and I don’t adopt to people who plan on mixing species. I think that animals from different continents have different micro-organisms inside them that might prove harmful to other species.

This is a labor of love for me. I’m retired now, and spend all my free time with the turtles and tortoises. And, after all these years, I still have that first rottweiler chewed box turtle, and the disc scarred desert tortoise.

Clovis Turtle & Tortoise Rescue

Clovisturtlerescue.tripod.com

TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Missouri
I've always wanted a tortoise. Always, always, always. I was a "reptile kid". My family was surprised when I impulse bought a bunny as my first pet when I moved out. They thought that surely my next pet would be a tort.

Two pet rabbits, dozens of foster rabbits, a hamster, and a dog later, I finally impulse bought a red foot at my first reptile show.

If it hadn't been impulse, I wouldn't have gone with a red foot. I was always planning on having either a Greek or a Sulcata tortoise, and that's what I was researching to have for years. Red foots require some more intricate care that I wasn't prepared for. I bought one purely because the vendor was really great at walking me through proper care and willing to take the torts back at any time (I wasn't planning on it, I just thought that was responsinble and nice, for the tort's sake.)

My one tortoise is enough for me, I think. It's great having him around and I plan on having him until one of our eventual deaths, but I don't know if I could guaruntee that with multiple animals that all require separate enclosures and live several decades, especially since I don't own a home.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Told my husband to stop the car when I saw a tiny Russian walking off the curb. She brumated while we were looking for the owner. I spent an anxious winter wondering what had happened to her; by the time she safely reappeared she was mine! I’ve always liked reptiles but owning one had never crossed my mind.

Like seemingly every family living near the Southern California desert, my family had a rescued desert tortoise for several years but she was free roaming in our large yard and rarely seen. Not a pet.

Our tiny yard is secure and equivalent to a large pen, if not we would have given her to a rescue. My amazing husband spent a great deal of time ensuring we were locked down as she is a proven escape artist. I find her fascinating but I wouldn’t keep her if I thought she’d make it back on the streets.

She’s our one and only tortoise, as she’s going to outlive us.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I've had different tortoises and turtles since I was a kid. Dad got me started.

Once I was grown up I acquired 3 different tortoises as hatchlings and raised them. Then I bought my own house and with the sudden expanse of room and a whole secured yard, I started rescuing. My personal pet tortoises are all kept separated, and all the rescues that I bring in are separated and cared for until they are healthy for a new home.

Then the Russian happened!

A friend brought a tortoise to me that they found wandering their yard. A fully grown female Russian tortoise. Definitely not native to Arizona, and this poor thing was thrown into the desert to fend for itself for I don't know how long! She's still healing under my care which is going to take awhile. Lot of exposed shell bone.

I started researching Russians and when I learned they are "threatened" and pulled from the wild to import here, I jumped on board to breed them and provide CB Russian Tortoises so I can help fulfill the demand and take the market away from WC importing.

My love for Testudo graeca followed, and I decided to add them to my breeding program. I have been doing a TON of research so that I can specialize in the Greeks (just like how Chris Leone is the man when it comes to Hermann's, I'm trying to be that with the Greeks). I've got a website up and am raising various subspecies of Greek tortoises from hatchlings; then when they are big enough I will breed them - to again offer people CB over WC.

I keep all my different sub-species of Greeks separated. Thankfully I have the skills to build my own tortoise tables and enclosures.

My Russians are separated from each other and I'll let them start mingling next spring to begin breeding. All my Greeks are mere months old so it will be awhile before they can start breeding.

I currently have 3 pet tortoises (leopard, dalmatian Hermann's, and a sonoran desert). 3 rescues (2 large adult sulcata males and the female Russian). 8 sub-adult/adult Russians + 2 babies for my Horsfieldii breeding program. 13 baby Greeks (representing 5 different sub-species/locales).

I also live alone so Heaven help the poor soul who ever has to "pet sit" for me [emoji56]

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Only one tortoise, a sulcata. Bought in 1999 from a pet store. An impulse buy because he was so cute. I hung around at the pet store a lot in those days. I was pet crazy, already had quite a menagerie. Now Charlie is the only pet left. My ultimate goal is to keep him healthy so he outlives me, and hope my son will continue taking care of him once we're gone.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Always wanted one since childhood. Used to catch and play with turtles, snakes, you name it. Always let them go though.
I now have three leopards and a Russian. I had six leopards and hatched a few and decided I didn't want to breed anymore so sold the females.
Internet search and research brought me to finding my first leopard and this forum.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I had thought they were cool for a while, but I knew I wanted one for sure after the cat that had lived with us my entire life (he was 8 when I was born) died. Figured it would be nice to have a pet that would outlive me, and I wouldn’t be constantly thinking “gee, it sure will suck when it dies” or “it could die any day”, lol. Definitely the best decision I’ve ever made, and absolutely my favorite pet, lol.

Luckily, I decided to search “tortoise” on the App Store one day, and found the forum :)

Joma

Taos, NM
Dog rescue started out as my thing. I am an international transport coordinator for two high intake, municipal shelters in southern NM sending dogs to shelters in Canada where they can find homes and avoid space-based euthanasia. I also foster feral and shy dogs in order make them more adoptable and run "dog play groups" for enrichment at my local shelter. NM sadly has many animal welfare issues :(

Of course one rescue focus leads to another and when some folks I know were moving and needed to find a home for their Greek tortoise about a month ago, my family took it in. Since then we have been building enclosures, taking temperatures, growing weeds and generally researching how take care of this small, alien, cold-blood we have adopted. I've got to say, while dogs remain my focus, this little tort has captured my heart as well. But he will probably remain our sole reptile.