1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Which tort species did you choose?

Discussion in 'General Tortoise Discussion' started by Bogie=babyDINO, Jan 7, 2017.

1. TortsNTurtles

TortsNTurtles Well-Known Member

I want a Testudo hermanni hermanni someday!!
  2. Buddytheboxie

Buddytheboxie Member

I was a kid maybe 14/15 and i really wanted a land turtle (didn't know they were called box turtles at the time) or a tortoise. I was researching and looking online for the perfect little one for me. When my dad took me with him to adopt a bird i was mentioning to the owners that i always wanted a turtle. They looked at me and introduced me to a young 3 toed box turtle. They put him in my hands and told me that i can have him and his tank and everything. Ever since that day Buddy has been with me. Everyone knoed about my box turtle. It is not until i got older that everything the previous owners told me about him was wrong. I am surprised he lasted with me this long. Now that i am older i am upgrading his enclosure and fixing his food better. He is mad at me for messing with him, but accepts it. My family even yells at me when i dont bring him in the family BBQs over the summer because they love seeing him dig and crawl in the grass. They like feeding him watermelon too haha. He is going strong at 23 years old! Turning 24 in march! It cracks me up that he is a year older than me!!
    (Old pics i have fixed his tank and added dirt since these were taken).

2014-08-18 16.40.05.jpg IMG_20150121_223608.jpg
  3. Bogie=babyDINO

Bogie=babyDINO Active Member

Haha that's awesome! Love the story. I used to call them land turtles also. I had no idea how many types of tortoises and turtles there were out there! I'd really like to rescue one older then me. I think that would be neat. Whenever you need advise you can ask your elder ;)
    Buddytheboxie likes this.
  4. Buddytheboxie

Buddytheboxie Member

Thank you. I am so happy that i adopted him. He is the best thing that has ever happened and not matter what he is going with me where ever i go. My friends always make fun that he was able to "drink" before me haha getting this little guy has opened my eye for reptiles and my love for them. :D
  5. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    I love the shoe box picture. It shows their personality exactly!
    TortsNTurtles likes this.
  6. Buddytheboxie

Buddytheboxie Member

that was him at 1 in the morning when i got back from work!! lmao!!! it is so funny! it cracks me up every time.
  7. Kaliman1962

Kaliman1962 Active Member

I have a Greek Ibera, he is 5 months old. very friendly, lively, a great choice. i'm thinking od getting a baby leopard next image1.JPG image2.JPG image1.JPG image1.JPG image1.JPG image2.JPG
  8. Lyn W

Lyn W Well-Known Member

I didn't choose Lola the leopard - he chose me!
    I would never have chosen a tortoise as a pet - had no interest in them at all.
    I was supposed to be a half way house between him being found by a friend and taking him to a new home my sister in Leicestershire. There was a change of plan and she couldn't take him.
    While I was researching rehoming him with the BATK he got his hooks in me.
    That was 2.5 years ago and is still here - ruling the roost!
  9. EmmaE

EmmaE New Member

Albums:
    I read about tortoises a lot and something about Hermann’s tortoises just felt right. Then I went to hermannihaven and instantly loved the Dalmatian tortoise. that being said, all other people I spoke to loved western Hermann’s tortoises So first I pursued them. then after that didn’t work out, I learned more about Dalmatian tortoises and low and behold 3 months later I have one of my own! from the beginning it felt right, all other tortoises didn’t "speak" to me like the size, face, and coloring of a Dalmatian tortoise. here are some photos of her :)

IMG_1609.JPG IMG_1548-3.JPG
  10. TortoiseWorld

TortoiseWorld Active Member

Can't resist, a couple more pics of our baby Goldilocks hatched August 2016
    Great color, no photo enhancements were made.

Attached Files:

11. Katashia

Katashia New Member

Agreed! Haha.
    TortsNTurtles and Buddytheboxie like this.
  12. Katashia

Katashia New Member

I have always liked turtles & tortoises, not sure why; I once heard they were considered good luck by the Choctaw Indians, since I am Choctaw, maybe that's why.
    I got my first turtle when I was 16yrs old, my friend needed to rehome him so I took him. She thought he was a RES, I know now that Waldo wasn't an RES & am still trying to pinpoint his species.
    Since then I have always had aquatic turtles; at one time I had 3 RES (Pickles, Ariel & Squirt) & 1 Mississippi Map (Tokka). Sadly Pickles got sick, I now believe it was a cold, he had started to get better but then I came home one day & he had passed. I must not have gotten him quarantined fast enough because Tokka wound up getting sick and dying soon after. I was so upset when Tokka died, I never got another & just focused on Ariel & Squirt. Eventually they got huge & Squirt got very aggressive towards Ariel (I think he was trying to mate & she wouldn't let him) & I got pregnant soon after that so I wound up letting them go free at a local turtle sanctuary. Squirt took off, like, "See ya!" Ariel took off too but she would come back up to watch me & as I walked away from the water she would come closer. I sat out there for almost 2hrs while she played & ultimately she decided she liked it there & didn't come back. Lol.
    I've always been obsessed with tortoises though. From the age of 16 I have said that some day I will have a giant tortoise to roam my home freely. Ideally, I should probably have gone with a box tortoise or some other species but I adore Sulcatas. My fiancé surprised me Nov 28, 2016 with my Christmas present early, a baby Sulcata. I have been studying up on them for some time before but even now I know I am not fully prepared but I won't give up.
    I love her very much & one thing is for sure, when I have a pet (which isn't often) I focus on them like I do my children & make sure they have what they need!
  13. KrissyLeigh

KrissyLeigh Member

I'd always had aquatic turtles - I would rescue red eared sliders from pool skimmers. Here, you can easily find 15 baby sliders in one day caught in skimmers! I assume during breeding seasons.

I love turtles, but it's exhausting keeping all that water up to snuff - especially with the cost of filter cartridges, water treatment, and time vacuuming all the tanks. So I decided a tortoise was for me! Especially since - this is a sad story - I once rescued a turtle from the road and put him in a pond. It was the strangest turtle I'd ever seen, and later in life I found out it was a tortoise, and I had probably drowned it. To this day I feel HORRIBLY guilty about that mistake, so providing a home for a tortoise was kindof my way of atonement. And I loved the idea of having a "land turtle" that would be a lifelong companion.

After much research I decided on a red footed tortoise because:
    A) I live in south Texas where it is always hot and humid, so I felt I needed a rainforest species
    B) Redfoots are a smaller species (in comparison to others)
    C) I love how they look - absolutely gorgeous
    D) I read that they are more outgoing

So that was that! I happen to come across a breeder in town by sheerest coincidence, and the rest is history!

(note: this picture is from an old setup when she was small) 13394161_10154034467440935_1047951600433733569_n.jpg
    Katashia likes this.