Different types of Leopards?

Gdbyrd

Hello,
Really considering a leopard tortoise because they are the size I want and my wife loves the way they look. I am considering sulcata, redfoots, burmese, and marginated torts also. I live in S. Tx by the coast.

I have read there are SA and normal leopards...with SA origin leopards being considerably more likely to have an outgoing personlaity. How do I identify an SA tort from a "normal" one?

Friendly, active, and an outgoing personality are the most important things to me in picking a tort and I just wanted some help before I delve deeper into research.

Gdbyrd

Found the information I needed I think. Looks like all the leopards I'm looking at are babcocki which more often than the other tortoises I'm looking at are described as pretty rocks.

More reading to do...any additional information or input would be appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If you want your yard destroyed, get a sulcata. Of the other species you mentioned, the RF is best suited to your climate and certainly meets your personality requirements.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I love my Redfoots to bits. They are so friendly and love attention. Vern follows me around constantly when we are outside. If I turn him loose and lay down to get some sun myself he comes back to me constantly to breathe in my face and sniff me and see what's up.
My smaller ones aren't as confident but they put up with a lot and will come check me out for treats.

Attachments

• 1459051175335.jpg
    1459051175335.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 43

Gdbyrd

If you want your yard destroyed, get a sulcata. Of the other species you mentioned, the RF is best suited to your climate and certainly meets your personality requirements.
Thank you for the advice. My only reservation about the RF is that they are on the small side. Otherwise I have read good things about them too. Thank you again.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
He's no sully, but at 12lbs he's a good size for hefting around and interacting with. He's about 9 years old and has been growing pretty steadily since we got him a year ago.

Attachments

• 1459062479858.jpg
    1459062479858.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 1459062570464.jpg
    1459062570464.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 43

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
What about a yellow foot? There are usually a bit bigger than redfoots.
I have a redfoot with a really outgoing personality!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
right now for you I would agree with a red or yellow foot as well. They're great tortoises even if they're a little smaller than the giant ones. as for leopards a properly taken care of leopard is not a pretty Rock

Gdbyrd

I found both yellow/red foot and leopards for sale here on the forum. Going to contact the sellers tomorrow to get some more information later in the week. Bought a 40g breeder today and plan to get a good viv started this week also. Planning a simple 20x20 enclosure outside as well but need to think of a way of making it dog proof. Thank you all for the help again.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hello,
Really considering a leopard tortoise because they are the size I want and my wife loves the way they look. I am considering sulcata, redfoots, burmese, and marginated torts also. I live in S. Tx by the coast.

I have read there are SA and normal leopards...with SA origin leopards being considerably more likely to have an outgoing personlaity. How do I identify an SA tort from a "normal" one?

Friendly, active, and an outgoing personality are the most important things to me in picking a tort and I just wanted some help before I delve deeper into research.
See if you can get hold of a Paraguayan redfoot. The record stands at 24" SCL. Don't how you would go about this though.