Differences among forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger Cowboy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham, AL
Hi,
I wanted to see if there were notable differences among the various Greek tortoise besides colors and patterns?

They sound fun, and I do like some colors/patterns more than others... but if there are significant differences beyond those I would like to know. I did read somewhere of one variety being less tolerant of other tortoises. The Iberans if I remember right.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Tunisian Greeks are smaller, and don't hibernate. Some of the Greeks are more tolerant of very dry environments than others. Some are more territorial. These guys are best kept alone if you plan to keep them indoors. If you have a large outdoor set-up, 1 male + 2-3 females can work. Males are pretty aggressive towards other torts. As usual, no species mixing recommended...

Tiger Cowboy said:
Hi,
I wanted to see if there were notable differences among the various Greek tortoise besides colors and patterns?

They sound fun, and I do like some colors/patterns more than others... but if there are significant differences beyond those I would like to know. I did read somewhere of one variety being less tolerant of other tortoises. The Iberans if I remember right.

Tiger Cowboy

5 Year Member
Birmingham, AL
I had not except the galleries, thank you Yvonne!

So looks like the Greeks are a taxonomic mess! That makes things interesting. I will have to be very careful to try to make sure what I am actually looking at.

Anybody with experience with a specific variety that you would recommend?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
You might try PM-ing GBTortoise - you'll get some expert info on identification help. :)

Tiger Cowboy said:
I had not except the galleries, thank you Yvonne!

So looks like the Greeks are a taxonomic mess! That makes things interesting. I will have to be very careful to try to make sure what I am actually looking at.

Anybody with experience with a specific variety that you would recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.