Deciding on a tortoise question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruuuuce78

5 Year Member
New Member here....I was looking to get a tortoise or 2. I've always been partial to torts that grow big. I have the space in and outside my house for a couple and have raised animals my whole life....the problem is I live in New York. I would like a tortoise that can spend 3/4 of the year outside, Ide like to build a big habitat for them.....I love Sulcatas and would like one. I even read a couple stories on here about Sulcatas being in colder temps like the 30's and 40's....Is that true they can do that? Not sure what to think here. Any suggestions on this or what I should get? Keeping them inside some of the year is NOT a problem but I'm not a big believer in keeping animals completely enclosed in a small environment their whole lives.....Any input would be appreciated.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
welcome. where in NY are you? Long Island, city, or upstate(anything north of Westchester):p ?

I have seen a few members on here have their Sulcatas live outdoors all year provided with a heated shed of some sort. It is possible to do. Maybe not ideal, but definitely doable and the tortoises have great care. Some will use pig blankets or other types of heat mats, actual gas or electric heaters, heat lamps, or combinations of those. Some will open up their tortoises door of the shed every morning and allow them to decide for themselves if they want to go out into the yard to graze and such while others will make the decision and keep their tortoise in the shed during freezing temps or a snowstorm or something.

Also, living in NY you might want to make sure the area is covered somewhat, or at least make it very difficult if not impossible for a raccoon or something to get in there and possibly cause serious damage to the tort directly or by taking advantage of food/shelter.

If you did decide to get a Sulcata, keeping it outdoors the whole year or most of the year would probably be something for an adult, or young adult, of larger size. A hatchling or yearling I don't think should be out there in less than ideal conditions when you can provide a more ideal environment in an inside space for one so small.

Now, if you aren't completely set on Sulcata, Russians or Hermanns would be an option. :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Bruuuuce78 said:
New Member here....I was looking to get a tortoise or 2. I've always been partial to torts that grow big. I have the space in and outside my house for a couple and have raised animals my whole life....the problem is I live in New York. I would like a tortoise that can spend 3/4 of the year outside, Ide like to build a big habitat for them.....I love Sulcatas and would like one. I even read a couple stories on here about Sulcatas being in colder temps like the 30's and 40's....Is that true they can do that? Not sure what to think here. Any suggestions on this or what I should get? Keeping them inside some of the year is NOT a problem but I'm not a big believer in keeping animals completely enclosed in a small environment their whole lives.....Any input would be appreciated.

Tortoises-living in New York-not a problem at all! I live in the Catskills where winters are long and we go from spring to fall with about a month of summer in between! I've sucessfully kept about every species of tortoise over the years here. Admittedly some are better suited than others. I prefer my tortoises to be outdoors as much as possible as our climate permits. For that reason I keep primarily Northern Mediterranean Testudo species as well as Russian tortoises. This list include the three subspecies of Hermann's, Ibera Greeks & Marginated tortoises. Middle Eastern Greeks can be kept here too but are a bit more cold sensitive than their more northern counterparts. A non Testudo species that does very well here in the Northeast outdoors are the Burmese Browns. Many people think of them as a tropical species but they are actually very cold tolerant and my experience with them here is that they are more active at our milder temperatures outdoors. Other species such as Sulcata, Leopards, Redfoots and other true arid and tropical species will only be able to be outdoors in the Northeast for very short periods during the summer and even then will often require additional heat sources, especially at night.

Where are you located?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Bruuuuce78:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Good luck with your research.

Bruuuuce78

5 Year Member
Thanks all for the welcome and for the replies. I am located 25 minutes north of Westchester. 1.5 hours south of Albany, whatever helps with the accuracy. I've been trying to research a cold weather tortoise that grows large but it seems that there isn't any. Seems like all the cold weather torts remain small. I appreciate the suggestions though. Among the people that replied it seems like 2 contradict one another. One saying that you can keep Sulcatas outside close to year round with the proper housing with heat and another saying it may be a bad idea (thats the way I took it). I am well aware of predators, I have chickens and guinea hens, I deal with the discovery channel every day lol. Not sure what I should do.....I really want want that grows big...

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
"Among the people that replied it seems like 2 contradict one another. One saying that you can keep Sulcatas outside close to year round with the proper housing with heat and another saying it may be a bad idea (thats the way I took it)."

I think that pdrobber and I basically said the same, he just stated that you would need additional requirements which is very true.

If you're planning to keep a Sulcata in your backyard in a purpose built building with reliable, constant heat, light and other requirements needed for the species here in the Northeast in the winter, you really aren't keeping it outdoors are you? You're keeping it indoors. Sulcata, Leopards, Aldabra, Redfoots, Yellowfoots and any other species from southern hemisphere arid or tropical locations will not survive year round outdoors in the Northern United States. Unless they are kept indoors in a purpose built building with adequate insulation, correct heat and light. Or in your house with the same requirements. If you plan to keep any arid or tropical species, where most of the large species are found, you will need to keep it indoors approximately 7-8 months out of the year here in New York State. A few Asian species can be kept outdoors here a little longer. Most Northern Mediterranean and some of the Middle Eastern Testudo can be kept outdoors without any additional heat requirements for approximately 7 months out of the year. We aren't exactly in an ideal tortoise climate here in New York State, but despite that most will do well here as long as they have the proper care.

Bruuuuce78

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
"Among the people that replied it seems like 2 contradict one another. One saying that you can keep Sulcatas outside close to year round with the proper housing with heat and another saying it may be a bad idea (thats the way I took it)."

I think that pdrobber and I basically said the same, he just stated that you would need additional requirements which is very true.

If you're planning to keep a Sulcata in your backyard in a purpose built building with reliable, constant heat, light and other requirements needed for the species here in the Northeast in the winter, you really aren't keeping it outdoors are you? You're keeping it indoors. Sulcata, Leopards, Aldabra, Redfoots, Yellowfoots and any other species from southern hemisphere arid or tropical locations will not survive year round outdoors in the Northern United States. Unless they are kept indoors in a purpose built building with adequate insulation, correct heat and light. Or in your house with the same requirements. If you plan to keep any arid or tropical species, where most of the large species are found, you will need to keep it indoors approximately 7-8 months out of the year here in New York State. A few Asian species can be kept outdoors here a little longer. Most Northern Mediterranean and some of the Middle Eastern Testudo can be kept outdoors without any additional heat requirements for approximately 7 months out of the year. We aren't exactly in an ideal tortoise climate here in New York State, but despite that most will do well here as long as they have the proper care.

Thanks for the reply buddy much appreciated. Another question. Say I wanted to choose a type to keep outside year round and hibernate them. That is possible right?....For maybe box turtles or Russians? IF so what kinds are there for this?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Hibernation outdoors in New York is very possible, provided that a few requirements for the tortoise's safety are met. In New York State a DEC permit is required to possess any species of American Box turtle. There is a misconception that Russian tortoises do great outdoor in all northern climates in the U.S. This really is not the case. Russian tortoises can be hibernated outdoors here in the Northeast. But our transition from winter to summer is generally too long and wet for them. I used to brumate (hibernate) my Russian tortoises outdoors and bring them inside to breed. Just the opposite of what one would expect. The reason for this is because Russian tortoises have evolved in the wild habitat to go from extreme winter to extreme summer conditions almost overnight. They do not become active quickly enough in our mild, usually cool and damp springtimes. So yes, they can be brumated outdoors here provided they are in dry, cold place with adequate cover. But they sometimes do not fair well outdoors during our spring weather. They do best here outdoors from late May through late September. A better choice to keep outdoors here year round would be the Hermann's subspecies or Ibera Greeks. Marginateds can also be kept outdoors but our winters are sometimes too cold for too long and they may require some heat and/or milder conditions. Marginateds are probably better suited for year round outdoor conditions about another 100-120 miles farther south.

Again, because of our Northeastern climate, especially our long, often damp springtimes, the species that are able to be kept outdoors and duration are limited without additional heat and shelter resources.

Bruuuuce78

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Hibernation outdoors in New York is very possible, provided that a few requirements for the tortoise's safety are met. In New York State a DEC permit is required to possess any species of American Box turtle. There is a misconception that Russian tortoises do great outdoor in all northern climates in the U.S. This really is not the case. Russian tortoises can be hibernated outdoors here in the Northeast. But our transition from winter to summer is generally too long and wet for them. I used to brumate (hibernate) my Russian tortoises outdoors and bring them inside to breed. Just the opposite of what one would expect. The reason for this is because Russian tortoises have evolved in the wild habitat to go from extreme winter to extreme summer conditions almost overnight. They do not become active quickly enough in our mild, usually cool and damp springtimes. So yes, they can be brumated outdoors here provided they are in dry, cold place with adequate cover. But they sometimes do not fair well outdoors during our spring weather. They do best here outdoors from late May through late September. A better choice to keep outdoors here year round would be the Hermann's subspecies or Ibera Greeks. Marginateds can also be kept outdoors but our winters are sometimes too cold for too long and they may require some heat and/or milder conditions. Marginateds are probably better suited for year round outdoor conditions about another 100-120 miles farther south.

Again, because of our Northeastern climate, especially our long, often damp springtimes, the species that are able to be kept outdoors and duration are limited without additional heat and shelter resources.

Holy crap thanks for the info man I appreciate it. I've been doing a lot of research. I want to make a MONSTER outdoor habitat. The only problem is I'de have to fence the top....Extra time but I'de have to do it with the million predators around here. Its funny, when someone in this thread mentioned predators, that next morning, I broke up a fight between a guinea hen and hawk. Caught it, a broad winged hawk. Arranging for him to be transported 50 miles away because I didn't have the heart to shoot him.

Bruuuuce78

5 Year Member
Where would you recommend buying a tort? Ive went through about 20 sites so far, not sure who to trust. Are torts that expensive on every site? Like 250 a piece? Not that I'm itching but holy crap.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
You can buy from the pet store, a rescue/shelter, a breeder, a reptile store that ships overnight within the country, a reptile show, or a craigslist type of rehoming/sale...

all have their own pros and cons, differing mostly in prices, selection/availability, ages, and condition (physical, medical) of the individual tortoises.

I would personally recommend the

New York Reptile Show
Westchester County Center
White Plains, NY
Sunday, April 22

or

Long Island Reptile Show
Huntington Hilton
Melville, NY
Sunday, March 25

you can get a pretty good deal on a tortoise at one of those shows, depending on what the sellers decide to bring. Sometimes there's a good selection, sometimes it's very limited and somewhat disappointing.

I would also recommend checking craigslist for people giving up/selling their tortoises. Other than that, I would of course recommend tortoises from most of the people that breed/sell who are members on this forum, tortoisesupply, lllreptile, bigappleherp (based on Long Island)...there are lots of other good ones too...

Have you decided which species you are interested in? What age/size you would like?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
keeping a large tortoise indoors, in my opinion, is not fair to the animal.. it can be done, but they can be very destructive, and not fair to teh person either!
They thrive outdoors.. even where it gets colder,, they can do ok, IF they have a heated shed to go to or live in. You need to consider the electric bill.. and power outages..
Read the Bob Stories..
and welcome... you will learn a lot here.

Status
Not open for further replies.