Deciding on first tortoise species

feister47

Hello,

So I recently was (and still am) interested in getting a tortoise. I've done my research, and have narrowed down my choices to a Greek or a Red foot. I have been keeping lizards and amphibians for about 4 years now. I have all the resources and the yardspace, and I'm sure my beardie wont mind giving up some of the weeds out back. I live in southern Ohio (Cincinnati), and I would like to keep my tort outside for most of the year, and bring it in during the winter. Price is not an issue. So what would be better first tort? The biggest indoor enclosure I can provide is about 7x2 feet, preferably a little smaller, as I do not have a lot of space in my reptile room, but I'm sure I could do some shifting and such.

Thanks

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
7 by 2 isn't a big space-you won't be able to keep either species inside for a long time inside that, with the exception of a couple of graeca subspecies.
Am I right in thinking that you have hot and wet summers and cold winters? While your summer suits red foots perfectly, I'd go with the graeca as you can hibernate it over winter, whereas that space is too small to keep an adult red foot for 4-5 months.

feister47

Okay. What would be a suitable size for an adult red foot during winter months. My dad is an architect so I'm sure that I could ask him to help with the building. Maybe 8x4? All my animals live in the basement, and we dont use it for things such as parties a lot, so I could try to get them to move some stuff, and then maybe an 8x4 would fit. You got our weather spot on.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
8x4 is a good size. Just make sure it's waterproof as red's need very high humidity in their enclosures. When making a wooden enclosure you would need to either coat the wood or line the inside with something like a shower curtain or pond liner, THEN put your substrate in, and make sure it that the substrate is suitable for this species and can retain water. If you don't have enough space for an 8x4 you could make a double decker and stack one level on top of another.

Last edited:

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
You will also need a closed chamber to keep the heat and humidity necessary for this species inside their enclosure.

For keeping them outside, Red Foot adults can TOLERATE 60-70 degree weather for a short time, but ultimately need to be kept warm in a 75-85 degree environment. Babies will need 80-85.

feister47

Okay. How does a solid, sealed top sound? There would be grates on the sides for ventilation. I will probably use some sealant on the wood as well. I think I could make that work. The cage may be a bit smaller, possibly 7x3. However, I hope to get a hatchling, so I will have some time to think a bit. But for now, I have a lot of leftover tubs from my other herps

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
A solid top will do just fine. You will not need ventilation, or at least I've never heard of anyone having such. Just don't have anything in the enclosure that could potentially mold, because it will, I'll tell you that from personal experience.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
8x4 is a good size. Just make sure it's waterproof as red's need very high humidity in their enclosures. When making a wooden enclosure you would need to either coat the wood or line the inside with something like a shower curtain or pond liner, THEN put your substrate in, and make sure it that the substrate is suitable for this species and can retain water. If you don't have enough space for an 8x4 you could make a double decker and stack one level on top of another.
Why would one have to cover a wooden enclosure before putting in the subtrate? By the way I am thinking of a nice big enclosure made of wood for my Greek tort.

Appreciate an answer. Thanks.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Good luck, and whatever tort you get, I can assure you that they are all wonderful pets. I for one had never dealt with animals, never had a pet till I got my adorable :<3: Greek tort four years ago. And I really do love it.

Again, good luck on choosing the tortoise and of course.....a warm welcome to the forum.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Why would one have to cover a wooden enclosure before putting in the subtrate? By the way I am thinking of a nice big enclosure made of wood for my Greek tort.

Appreciate an answer. Thanks.

I was saying to line the inside with a liner, or coat the wood with a waterproof finish. If you put the substrate in without the liner, you would have wet substrate in contact with the wood, right? That would mold.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I was saying to line the inside with a liner, or coat the wood with a waterproof finish. If you put the substrate in without the liner, you would have wet substrate in contact with the wood, right? That would mold.
Thanks very much your prompt reply.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I would advocate getting a Greek.
They are wonderful, as Gillian mentioned.
But I am very biased.

feister47

Thanks for the help. I am super undecided. Since they both have similar setups, I'm just going to go to the reptile expo and pick up one. And before you start screaming for me being unprepared in resources, I have a lot of leftover tropical stuff from my Golden Gecko (RIP Draco 2014 :( )

I'm probably going to get a hatchling, so I'll worry about the large cage later.

Thanks for the welcome Gillian