Dark spots under shell, normal?

SarahM82

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Valley Springs, CA
He/she also has the pink in between the scutes. I'm hoping that it is just part of growth. I'll definitely keep and eye on it and make sure he/she is getting lots of sun. If there is any change in torties behavior I will definitely have him/her seen. Tonight I gave him/her some hard boiled egg and he gobbled it down. He loved it, can't wait to get some mazuri.

That sort of discoloration is not normal. Pinkness between the scutes in the areas of new growth is normal, but I've never seen that sort of dark smear.

I don't know what it is.

I stand by my prior recommendation of keep an eye on it and make sure the tortoises gets lots of sunshine.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
He/she also has the pink in between the scutes. I'm hoping that it is just part of growth. I'll definitely keep and eye on it and make sure he/she is getting lots of sun. If there is any change in torties behavior I will definitely have him/her seen. Tonight I gave him/her some hard boiled egg and he gobbled it down. He loved it, can't wait to get some mazuri.

Oh my! You fed your tort a hard boiled egg? I would not have feed him that. Your tort is a grazer, and don't handle the protein and cholesterol that's in eggs. Your baby should be eating grass, hibiscus leaves and flower, cactus, endive, some weeds like dandelion and cloverleaf. Tom has a thread that lists all the kinda of food to feed your salcata. Ask him to provide you with some of his threads.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
He didn't say he was giving him eggs . He said he seen someone on here feeding eggs and may try it . Not a good idea to feed eggs I wouldn't .

SarahM82

5 Year Member
Valley Springs, CA
Yes, I gave him/her a very small amount last night. I seen that dean had givin the ITs some hard boiled egg so I researched it and found a ton of mixed reviews on it. Lots do give their torts hard boiled eggs and are fine. So I decided to go for it. Obviously it won't be a daily thing. Those that do give hard boiled eggs do it 1-2 times a month. That is the first time I have givin anything other than what I listed above as to what I feed.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Some torts like redfoots are omnivores, they do need animal protein. For these torts hard boiled egg can be an option.

However, I believe your tort is a herbivore and shouldn't eat animal protein. It won't kill them probably but I wouldn't recommend feeding it every 2 weeks.