TORTOISES SHELL IS CONCAVING

JoshGoldberg

I just picked up my tortoise and was scratching her back and i felt a deep indent in her shell, nothing has bitten her and she hasnt been around the dogs and nothing has fallen on her what do I do? Is it normal?

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PA
Post some pictures so some of the more experienced members can take a look. There was a member though a few weeks ago who posted a thread with the same problem. Pretty much and indent. I believe they told the other member its just the way he's growing and he did nothing wrong.

JoshGoldberg

Post some pictures so some of the more experienced members can take a look. There was a member though a few weeks ago who posted a thread with the same problem. Pretty much and indent. I believe they told the other member its just the way he's growing and he did nothing wrong.
here you go, also her shell is still pyramiding but i have her on 80 percent humidity all the time and she only eats outside

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
It was either a deformity at birth like the thread I posted or something could have fell of it from the previous owner. Either way there's nothing you can do at this point about. As he/she grows it will diminish to the point where you can hardly see it or it will disappear completely. Your tortoise does look a little dry. Your temperatures seem good. Do daily soaks of 20-30 minutes each day.

JoshGoldberg

It was either a deformity at birth like the thread I posted or something could have fell of it from the previous owner. Either way there's nothing you can do at this point about. As he/she grows it will diminish to the point where you can hardly see it or it will disappear completely. Your tortoise does look a little dry. Your temperatures seem good. Do daily soaks of 20-30 minutes each day.
I have been soaking her everyday and she still looks dry though, is there anything else i can put on her shell or something

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
Just keep he/she humid and provide proper care in Tom's thread. People have acquired sulcatas 2-3 years old pyramided, very small, and in bad shape. They started them like a hatchling following Tom's thread and have had great success.