Cruz's Outdoor Enclosure

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Looks good, is there some part of the enclosure in shade all day. Like you said it will be better when you plant it out next yr. I should get plants now so any pesticides used on them from the shop/nursery should be all but gone for next year.

There is no way on this earth could I have my torts open to the public like that. They would get stolen.

HuskyDaneMom

With the large tree there are lots of shaded area throughout the day. In fact, I think we will build one in the back yard next year where there is more direct sun light.

We are on a dead end street so we only get local traffic. And we don't leave him out over night because of raccoons, skunks, foxes and stray cats. I prefer to be home for the most part when he is out so I can check on him every hour or two.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
With the large tree there are lots of shaded area throughout the day. In fact, I think we will build one in the back yard next year where there is more direct sun light.

We are on a dead end street so we only get local traffic. And we don't leave him out over night because of raccoons, skunks, foxes and stray cats. I prefer to be home for the most part when he is out so I can check on him every hour or two.
I was asking about shade because it's a good thing if there is always the option for your tort to go in the sun or shade. :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a pretty nice little enclosure. I particularly like the corner pieces that hold the wood in place without the need of nails or screws. Makes it portable.

I could never have my tortoises out front either. They would be gone as soon as I turned my back.

Samsulcata

Hi! Where did u get the corner pieces? I too like the fact that you can assemble and disassemble as needed..thanks! Nice job

HuskyDaneMom

The corner blocks are from Home Depot and are called Oldcastle Planter Wall Blocks. Below is the link.

I actually saw these on a post from a woman in AZ, I think, with a Sulcata. Crush, maybe.

Ironically, when I looked into them I found that are made by a sister-company to the one I work for. Hubby asked if I could get a discount and I said, the paperwork would not be worth the 37 cents we would save on each brick!

At any rate, we put them on top of a cinder-block planter that was already in the yard. Next spring I figure we will get additional blocks and make an enclosure in the back yard that will get more direct sunlight. This was a good proof of concept for this year.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oldcastl...er-Wall-Block-in-Tan-Brown-16202336/206501693

Samsulcata

Thanks so much! I'm thinking they will work perfectly. Funny about the sister company! I just moved to a home I am renting, Sam has a basement enclosure which is adequate, but I'll be looking to improve on it. Needed something for him to get outside, but not too permanent due to renting..thanks so much for your reply and ideas! Your plan for next spring sounds great, good luck