Plant ideas for outdoor enclosure

Janelle Green

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
image.jpeg almost finished with my male Russian tortoise franklins outdoor enclosure , I live in Colorado and it gets cold here soon and snows and want to add some plants that will do well in the cold . Any ideas? I'll post more pictures tomorrow (About half way done )

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You're not keeping your tortoise outside in the winter are you? It's already much too cold there for the tortoise to be out overnight. Daytime temps would be OK but by late afternoon it's going to be too cold. Are used to live there, so I know exactly what the weather is.

Janelle Green

Colorado
Just if its a nice day out for a few hours . I actually got denied from Colorado reptile humane society because I said I won't keep the Russian outside in the winter full time. Couldn't believe it oh well their loss missed out on a great owner for that tortoise

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Just if its a nice day out for a few hours . I actually got denied from Colorado reptile humane society because I said I won't keep the Russian outside in the winter full time. Couldn't believe it oh well their loss missed out on a great owner for that tortoise
That doesn't make any sense at all.

Janelle Green

Colorado
Please no more rude replies , I am trying to figure out good plants for my outdoor enclosure thank you

Janelle Green

Colorado
I hope your right because I was truly upset when I got denied , I went out and bought everything set it all up. Not all turtles and tortoises can live outside in Colorado lol we get cold snowy winters , I just didn't understand it. Well I'm sorry to jump on you like that I took your context wrong

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I was not being rude to you. And I am not a troll. So if you have a problem with me I guess it's just your problem. What they told you makes no sense. Welcome to the world of tortoise ownership. You will learn quickly that pet stores, veterinarians, and even rescues or Humane Society's don't know a darn thing about tortoises in most cases. And there is a ton of bad information out there on the Internet as well. Stay on this site and he will learn all you need to know. But if you get defensive then people will not help you.
It is my opinion that without a heated house you will not be able to keep your tortoise outside year-round in Colorado. Or in a lot of places as far as that goes.

Janelle Green

Colorado
I've learned a lot of misleading information online this site has helped a lot I should send the link to the rescue lol maybe they'll start caring for their tortoises they get better

Prairie Mom

View attachment 188233 almost finished with my male Russian tortoise franklins outdoor enclosure , I live in Colorado and it gets cold here soon and snows and want to add some plants that will do well in the cold . Any ideas? I'll post more pictures tomorrow (About half way done )
I live nearby. This thread I made may give you a few ideas. Every one of these plants are tortoise safe, suitable for a Russian as well, and will do fine in your area.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...ls-cold-hardy-perennials.110773/#post-1030304.

I would also add cold tolerant Grape vines, cold hardy hibiscus hybrids, Hostas, and cold tolerant strawberry plants too.

Janelle Green

Colorado
I live nearby. This thread I made may give you a few ideas. Every one of these plants are tortoise safe, suitable for a Russian as well, and will do fine in your area.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...ls-cold-hardy-perennials.110773/#post-1030304.

I would also add cold tolerant Grape vines, cold hardy hibiscus hybrids, Hostas, and cold tolerant strawberry plants too.
Thank you so much! I tried finding stuff online and I couldn't find anything and I swear all tortoise info I get online is misleading , I've learned everything from this forum very helpful people on here thank u all!