Creative ideas?

samanthag17

I live in New Hampshire so having Thor outside isn't an option right now however it will be in the summer time! Right now he's in my room in a 40 gallon tank. And suggestions or ideas on things I can make that are bigger for him? I don't think he has enough room and I want him to be happy! Also what do you guys use for bedding? Thanks! Here's what he's in now ImageUploadedByTortForum1396234320.751612.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, yes, he does need a lot bigger enclosure. Get a couple large plastic totes and put them together to make one large enclosure, or make a second level out of one of them. Get a 6 foot book shelf unit and make an enclosure out of it, or even an old dresser can have the drawers removed and made into a home. You can also use one of the large plastic kiddie pools. Just a few ideas to look into. Also look in the enclosure section for ideas.

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
That ramp bowl is a big no no and should be removed immediately. Many dangerous risks which can cause a tortoise to drown from falling in and flipping over easily.

A terra cotta dish would be a lot better for it is shallow and easy to get in and out of and can soak the feet for better traction.

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
change out that water dish to a terra cotta pot like russantortxo said.

we went and got a cheap closet from ikea thats about 6/7 foot by 2/3 foot ( honestly i cant remember at the moment ) but it only cost us 69.99 on sale (98.00 normal price) its so big we couldnt take it home in the car we are waiting at the moment for ikea to drop it off at the house.

as far as the substrate plain coco coir or orchid bark is good.

just keep in mind the bigger the better as far as enclosures go. here is the closest to what we ordered i could find on the usa site http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20214571/

AWW

Take a look at mine,
Basking rock, small food bowl, and small rock for leafy food, and small water bowl so he won't drowned. I put in some sticks and mulch so he can climb over things.ImageUploadedByTortForum1396307762.211169.jpg

Captain Albert Watson Walkslow

Last edited by a moderator:

samanthag17

Thanks everyone! I'm building a bigger enclosure tomorrow and I got rid of the water bowl! I'll post pictures when it's finished

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
A sturdy wooden bookshelf flipped onto its back and lined with plastic is a great and inexpensive enclosure.