Any ideas on how to bury Thor?

As some of you may know my Russian tortoise Thor died. So now I'm trying to figure out what to do with him. I live in Ohio and the ground is very hard right now because of the snow so I don't know how or what to do with Thor because I know if I just let him stay in his enclosure he'll start smelling. Any ideas?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings

Sorry to hear about Thor. :-(

Not sure how large Thor is, but since the ground is frozen, you could take a large coffee can fill it partly with paper shred or sphagnum moss, place Thor in, then fill up with shred. Place that in your freezer. Later, once the ground thaws you can make a nice hole and give him a proper burial.

MadameFizzgig

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I've had to bury pets during the winter in Maine (where I'm from originally). It is possible, but of course it's not the easiest. When I've had to bury pets I typically decorate the inside of a little box, wrap it tightly with ribbon or string (not only because it looks nice, but also to keep animals from getting into it), and make sure to put a rock over the grave once he's buried. Perhaps once the ground thaws you could plant some flowers over him, that's what I tend to do. I'm so sorry for your loss.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
When tragedy strikes in the winter we put them in a sealed container in the freezer.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We had Joe cremated @dmmj. Our vet arranged it with a local pet crematorium. You can go direct as well.

We collected his ashes and buried them in the garden. As is usual, the crematorium crushes or grinds the remains so there are no identifiable pieces of bone. The ashes were very white presumably due to the shell.

JSWallace

Yep had my tort cremated and returned in a very fancy wooden box. Linda is right, the ashes are very white

Attachments

• 1493227976333.jpg
    1493227976333.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 6