Corrugated pipe ramp?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Can Russian tortoises climb corrugated pipe? I'm thinking about using it as a ramp and tunnel between two enclosures. I was thinking the 8 inch wide stuff. Do I have to put something for traction?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they will need traction you might try a dremel

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I think I'm going to come up with a Plan B. I don't think this one's going to work the way I planned. Well, I wish I could use power tools.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think I'm going to come up with a Plan B. I don't think this one's going to work the way I planned. Well, I wish I could use power tools.
why can't you use power tools? Religious reasons :)?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you paint it and then throw play sand on it, before the paint drys. That's what I did to my shed floor at my old place. The only problem is I bought the sand that is made for this and it was just too fine. Regular play sand I don't think would be as find. If this is for outside though, I would be worried about it getting too hot.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Can you paint it and then throw play sand on it, before the paint drys. That's what I did to my shed floor at my old place. The only problem is I bought the sand that is made for this and it was just too fine. Regular play sand I don't think would be as find. If this is for outside though, I would be worried about it getting too hot.
I was going to make it like a tunnel. With The tortoise crawling through it to get from one to the other. I want to connect my two stock tanks without drilling a hole in them. I was going to use another been as sort of a bridge with a little ramps leading up to it. But now that been is being used for something else. I guess I'll try to make a ramp out of wood and have somebody help me.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I was going to make it like a tunnel. With The tortoise crawling through it to get from one to the other. I want to connect my two stock tanks without drilling a hole in them. I was going to use another been as sort of a bridge with a little ramps leading up to it. But now that been is being used for something else. I guess I'll try to make a ramp out of wood and have somebody help me.
Hi there. Could you get 2 pipes. Cut one in half length ways, so you have a semi circle shape looking from the end. Rough that up and put it inside your uncut pipe on the bottom half.
Or cut one slit in one pipe length ways, prize it open( you will need help) rough it up inside then let the pipe close back up.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Hi there. Could you get 2 pipes. Cut one in half length ways, so you have a semi circle shape looking from the end. Rough that up and put it inside your uncut pipe on the bottom half.
Or cut one slit in one pipe length ways, prize it open( you will need help) rough it up inside then let the pipe close back up.
That could work. It's not going to be that long so I might be able to reach in from both ends. Right now I think I'm going to see how a ramp would do. I have a bunch of plywood sitting around. I have to make a bridge between these two horse tanks.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440375706.088893.jpg I only have about a week to figure it out, the weather is changing. Of course, I can always just put her in one half of it until I get them connected.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
@tortdad got any suggestions? I know just drilling out the whole in each one and putting a pipe through would be the easiest but I really don't want to ruin the stock tanks. When I get some time I'm going to have to go spend some time at the hardware store and see what my options are.

Magilla504

Last year, I used corrugated pipe to construct a tunnel to an underground hide box for my Russians. There is just a tiny incline and they love it in there. Never heard or crossed my mind that they were having trouble passing through . I didn't add anything because the grooves already exist in the pipe and are close enough for the tort to get their arms from one to the other . Good luck and great thinking on your enclosure expansion

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Optimally a round pipe wouldn't be the best for a flat bottomed tortoise.
A big box section pipe would give better traction just by surface area alone.
My curregated pipes have the bottoms cut out into half tubes and they are used for burrows.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Uses for curregated pipe.
A corner section cut into an igloo with a garbage can lid. A 70 percent section as a water pan shade and some half sections used as burrows....
If you have the pipe save it for later or pass it on. It is SO easy to use!

Attachments

• 20150824_194923.jpg
    20150824_194923.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 42
  • 20150515_150957.jpg
    20150515_150957.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 41

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Uses for curregated pipe.
A corner section cut into an igloo with a garbage can lid. A 70 percent section as a water pan shade and some half sections used as burrows....
If you have the pipe save it for later or pass it on. It is SO easy to use!
I saw those hides a while back, those are so cool. I'm going to make one for my outdoor enclosure for next year. But right now I'm trying to figure out the stupid ramp. I'm trying to look up that square height you were talking about. Where do I get those?