Corner cap advice for escape artist [video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
As our little DTs get bigger, we're gonna need corner caps on our outdoor enclosure. There's one particularly tempting corner where the concrete is chipped and it's easier for our torts to get a footing and peek over into the exciting world beyond. Here's a video of Gomez making a nearly successful escape attempt this weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXeImuxaxeo

Anybody have any suggestions on corner capping that concrete flower bed? I was thinking of using some shards of Pennsylvania bluestone we have left over from doing the steps. It'd be nice to do something attractive and not just functional. Anyway, I'd love to see pix of what other folks have used.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a tough space to cap because of the stucco wall. My suggestion would be to place a long board up against the house wall of the pen wall, so that it sticks out over the tortoise pen. Then you can place a pretty flower growing in a pot on the board to make it balance there and not fall in.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
A large attractive flowerpot with a nice plant in it,one large enough so that it can overlap the edge a little and not fall off. A square pot would probably work better than a round one but either should work on both levels, (sorry no pics it's pouring rain outside)--------It took me awhile to finish this, got side tracked so basically the same idea as Yvonne's.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cap the wall with the blue stone and let hang over. It will match your steps.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Great ideas, thanks so much, guys! I never even thought of prettying it up with a flower pot. My one reservation about covering that area is that it's a favorite corner because it gets the morning sun. But I think I can keep the cover pretty narrow and still eliminate the hazard without stealing too much of that morning light.

Status
Not open for further replies.