Is this Fungus on my little Redfoot?

Milwaukeethetort

Location (City and/or State)
Miami Florida
Hey so Milwaukee is doing great. But I recently noticed he likes to burrow into his coconut home and he’s getting through the dry substrate and getting to damp coco coir. I don’t think he likes sleeping on the orchid bark. But I want to know if this is Fungus or shell rot. As well as if it makes sense to replace the coco coir with straight orchid bark. IMG_2992.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2990.jpeg
    IMG_2990.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't see anything that is concerning yet
What you could do, is make the substrate deeper. You could also mix coir in with the bark and see if that makes him happier.
You can also remove the bark, add more dry coir and only wet the bottom coir by pouring warm water into the corners when more humidity is needed

Milwaukeethetort

Miami Florida
I don't see anything that is concerning yet
What you could do, is make the substrate deeper. You could also mix coir in with the bark and see if that makes him happier.
You can also remove the bark, add more dry coir and only wet the bottom coir by pouring warm water into the corners when more humidity is needed
Thank you. I wasn’t too sure what those white looking rings were all throughout. It’s not soaking wet where his hut is but it is rather damp. Thanks for the suggestion I’ll give it a go. In the mean time I swapped out the wet cocoa noir with cypress mulch to see if he’s happier with that than the orchid bark.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mulch is not a good choice. I'd be more careful with him getting rot or fungus with mulch
Those circles are pretty common. I believe it has to do with either your water or soakings, can't remember which. Perfectly harmless

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
No.
No fungus. But don't freak out if it happens. It's relatively common with Redfoot. Especially while the keeper is still trying to get the enclosure dialed in.
You should probably grab the least expensive tube of ATHLETES FOOT cream you see next time you're out so you have it on hand.
(It's THAT common)
I've used the stuff from the dollar store for years and it's just as effective as the $15 ones