Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

susej_ftmac

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Hi everyone!

I am new to this site but have owned a hermann tortoise for about 2 years now. His name is Rocky and he (or she, not sure yet) is approximatly 3 years old! I live in Northern Canada, so I do have to keep him in a indoor enclosure. I have a UV light and basking lamp set up for him. In the winter months his diet can get pretty limited. I usually feed him endive, kale, and other leafy greens I can pick up at the grocery store. Every now and then I will give him a cherry tomoato for a treat.

I've been a bit concerned about him lately because he's been pretty lethargic. He's still eating good, but he isn't active. He sleeps a lot and basks most of the day. Before he was very active, he would explore his home a lot and climb his little stepping rocks. He is shedding a bit right now, could that be it? Does anyone have any advice for me?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome..

Its always concerning when a tortoise you have had for a long time al of the sudden gets sick. I can't help but I would suggest a vet for your tortoise...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
might be too cold? not enough light? Sheeding makes me think also too dry.. give him a good warm water soak.. shallow, not too deep... see if that helps.

susej_ftmac

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Laura said:
might be too cold? not enough light? Sheeding makes me think also too dry.. give him a good warm water soak.. shallow, not too deep... see if that helps.

I've started soaking him and his skin is getting better. I was thinking it's too cold as well. I do have a heat lamp for him, but my room is so cold during the winter, maybe a heating pad as well?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome :)

The usual cause of lethargy is temperature. What is the temperature under the basking lamp and at the cool end? What is the temperature at night?

Make sure you soak him for a good 20 mins in warm water daily until ypu are sure he's OK again

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi susej_ftmac:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome Sydney. What are your four temps? Cool side, warm side, basking spot, and night? What sort of UV bulb are you using? Is it one of those coil type cfls?

Status
Not open for further replies.