Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenazfehu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Puget Sound
TORTOISEMAN1 said:

Thank you for the welcome.

I recently discovered the post about the danger of dogs and tortoises. I guess we've lucked out so far. From now on, I won't take the chance of leaving those two unsupervised.

I offered son's ex-GF $200 for Neenyo, but she says he is worth $900. I don't know where she got that figure!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it was a mistake to offer her any money. Figure up how much it has cost you to care for the tortoise for this past 2 years, summer and winter, including electricity, vet,etc. Don't make any more offers to give her any money. That's all she see's...the $$$ sign. But next time she brings up the subject, tell her how much the tortoise has cost during this time and that with all that money invested in the tortoise you are keeping it, and she needs to forget about it.

Kenazfehu

5 Year Member
Puget Sound
Thank you Yvonne. I agree, but what's done is done (offering the money, I mean).
I didn't keep receipts, but with setting up a new habitat, the heat lamp running 24/7, etc, I know I have more than paid for Neenyo.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
$900?! HA I have a FORTUNE out in my pasture..
Find a website with rescues and how many and give that to her. I have four, and all were free.. Except thier CARE!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Be careful she doesn't try to steal him out of the yard while your gone. I wouldn't even communicate with her. As time goes on she will give up. She's just getting back because of the break up. Cut your ties.

Kenazfehu

5 Year Member
Puget Sound
Don't worry Kathy. When we're gone, Neenyo is secure in his indoor space, unless ex-GF breaks and enters.

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
She sounds awful. The only time it's appropriate to take an animal from your Ex is when they are taking horrible care of it. Not when it's well loved and cared for by their parents. If you took him to the vets at some point get him/her to write a letter for this girl about how horrible his condition was, and how you saved him.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Be careful she doesn't try to steal him out of the yard while your gone. I wouldn't even communicate with her. As time goes on she will give up. She's just getting back because of the break up. Cut your ties.

You have made your one and only offer....if she wants to accept it great....then write out a receipt/money slip showing you gave her that money for the tortoise and then be done with it....

If she still insists on crazy 900 amount or anything over the 200. you offered...then tell her to kick rocks and no further discussion....

You do not owe her the time of day nor a dollar...she is not family she is simply just an ex girlfriend (of which there will likely be others) of your sons...ex girlfriends are nothing.....keep to your offer and if she refuses it then the offer no longer stands and hold your ground....your son also needs to dismiss his ex girlfriend from bothering you any further at that. She was his mistake, not yours....:D

Oh yeah....I LOVE LOVE LOVE the tortoise location device....very fun :D

Kenazfehu

5 Year Member
Puget Sound
I still have Neenyo. Son told me that ex-GF is running an ad to sell Neenyo. Good luck with that (by which I mean just the opposite).

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
isn't Possesion 9/10 of the law? and I'm sure your constant care over the last 2 years will constitute the other 1/10!

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Sounds like she's only interested in $ if she's selling her. I personally think she's bluffing and might just be looking for a reason to talk to ur son. Maybe she thinks, "bad attention is better than none at all". It all boils down to immaturity, but YOUR baby shouldn't have to suffer for her spite. I agree w/everyone else, u should keep her. Did they break up 2 years ago, and if so, has she found a new bf?

Kenazfehu

5 Year Member
Puget Sound
Oh goodness; I'm sorry. I just noticed a giant omission in my tale. Ex-GF has my grandson (now age 4). So son and ex-GF have a lot to communicate about aside from Neenyo.

It just boggles my mind that she would leave Neenyo here for so long, going on 3 years now, and still think he is hers to do with as she pleases. I've made a significant investment in time and purchases to care for this creature, so how is he still hers? I'm glad to see that the majority agrees with me. On another forum I frequent, there was one reply of "give Neenyo back." Everyone else has said "he's yours."

If she gets a buyer for him, I'll have to check it out. If the buyer looks better prepared to provide for Neenyo than I am, I will give my blessing to selling him. I have far less property than is ideal for a Sulcata - only a suburban lot. I would never have acquired one of these tortoises for myself, but since this one has fallen into my care, I've done my very best for him and gotten attached.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Kenazfehu said:
Oh goodness; I'm sorry. I just noticed a giant omission in my tale. Ex-GF has my grandson (now age 4). So son and ex-GF have a lot to communicate about aside from Neenyo.

It just boggles my mind that she would leave Neenyo here for so long, going on 3 years now, and still think he is hers to do with as she pleases. I've made a significant investment in time and purchases to care for this creature, so how is he still hers? I'm glad to see that the majority agrees with me. On another forum I frequent, there was one reply of "give Neenyo back." Everyone else has said "he's yours."

If she gets a buyer for him, I'll have to check it out. If the buyer looks better prepared to provide for Neenyo than I am, I will give my blessing to selling him. I have far less property than is ideal for a Sulcata - only a suburban lot. I would never have acquired one of these tortoises for myself, but since this one has fallen into my care, I've done my very best for him and gotten attached.

Oh lol I see... Sorry, I was unaware they had a child ; ). I can definitely identify w/u, I've only had my hatchling since last Sunday and he's already a part of the family, he also kinda fell into my lap. I think she needs to SERIOUSLY consider his bests interests, whether it be w/u or a potential buyer. If she really has his best interest at heart she would leave him w/u in his current home or if u can't provide for him anymore, donate or let someone better capable for caring for him than her adopt him, FREE of charge (unless she plans on reimbursing u) It shouldn't be about the money for her, it should be about Neenyo. Good luck and keep me posted on the situation. I still feel she may be bluffing about selling him ; )

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Grandchild? HA! That makes it even easier! Just give the little Guy to your Grandson and let HIM have it when he's got the space! it may take 18 or 19 years but as long as you let him know that Neenyo is his and you'll take care of him till he's capable... What's Mom going to say? "NO, my son can't have him"? ;)

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
Zamric said:
Grandchild? HA! That makes it even easier! Just give the little Guy to your Grandson and let HIM have it when he's got the space! it may take 18 or 19 years but as long as you let him know that Neenyo is his and you'll take care of him till he's capable... What's Mom going to say? "NO, my son can't have him"? ;)

HA!!!! That's a GREAT idea! Love it... I'm a mom and if she's anything like me, she can't refuse, I think it's the perfect idea... That way he can learn how to properly care for him from u! Awesome advice =)

Status
Not open for further replies.