COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I just finally put some nectar out for my hummingbirds about a week ago. So far nobody has shown up but it's been cold. The net said do it earlier but I'm pretty sure I'm right on time. I'm usually sitting on my butt watching for them so I'm sure I didn't miss their arrival.😊

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Are you talking about that little cutie I've seen in pictures? I can't believe he got older and that good at it 😜😜😜 yes I can πŸ™ƒπŸ˜
Oh thats the one! Hes like drinking beers all night and enjoying urself … then u wake up in the morning ! Thats also him hahah

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I live near a shop that hand-makes its own ice cream and candies. While they aren't nice big barrels like those blue ones, they do have a lot of 5-gallon and 3-gallon food grade buckets that they put out free-for-the-taking, about every two or three months. Most of the time they have lids with them, too.

They're great to store bulk flour, beans, rice, or whatever in, plus they do all the stuff the ones Home Depot charges $4-5 each for that aren't "food safe". I use them to hold fish while I do aquarium changes, as plant stands to get the plants up higher in the window (I'm not fashion conscious, could you tell?), and all sorts of cleaning (though I don't use those buckets for live critters once they've had soap in them). They're great to drop a block of coco coir into water in and let it fluff up, My daughter-in-law likes to "brine" her turkeys at Thanksgiving, and these are perfect for that. I've even used them for "container gardening", they're big enough to keep tomato plants happy.

Just mentioning because if you need a higher quality bucket, see if you can find a place that makes their own Ice cream (they get frozen strawberries, and all sorts of other ingredients in these buckets) and check with them for ones they are done with Some restaurants get bulk food-things, too - but with them you have to be careful it didn't get something greasy put into it, or that they didn't use it with industrial strength cleaners to wash their floors, etc....
When I am up in Ludington Michigan. I will check that out. There is a ice cream shop but they also make their own ice cream. They supply stores with ice cream in nearby cities. The name of the place is House of Flavors.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Well what do you know....my Septic guy is afraid of Bumblebees.

He came
He saw
He left

Wasn't there a vine vichi thing like that?

He told me he was allergic, I think expecting that I would eradicate them. Instead I looked at his 275lbs of 6-6 man and thought, "what a puss" LOL

I offered to walk back in shorts and bare feet that they weren't a threat but his fear is real to him.....aw well.

After my debacle with my AC system, I'm staying away from electricity this morning, painting and laundry...

Hey Chubbs, drink BEFORE you log on.....fixes a lot and maybe you won't be so nasty......! LOL

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/evening all.
Here we are on the last day of April already - where has that first third of the year gone?
It has been a very cold miserable day again, and poured down since about 4 pm with more to come for the rest of the week.

The windmill obsession seems to have calmed down, 3 of them have fallen again so hopefully they'll stay down, depends if they are ready to admit defeat. 🏳️
The birds have continued to ignore them.

My hedgehog pops in every night to enjoy the food I leave out regardless of the weather. It will give him a good start after a long winter hibernation. He seems to spend most of the night here looking for bugs and snails etc too so I'm wondering if he is nesting in my garden. Pity I can't track him.

Wildlife apart, I need some advice from you handymen - can you recommend the best way to lay paving slabs without actually concreting them in?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Here we are on the last day of April already - where has that first third of the year gone?
It has been a very cold miserable day again, and poured down since about 4 pm with more to come for the rest of the week.

The windmill obsession seems to have calmed down, 3 of them have fallen again so hopefully they'll stay down, depends if they are ready to admit defeat. 🏳️

My hedgehog pops in every night to enjoy the food I leave out regardless of the weather. It will give him a good start after a long winter hibernation. He seems to spend most of the night here looking for bugs and snails etc too so I'm wondering if he is nesting in my garden. Pity I can't track him.

Wildlife apart, I need some advice from you handymen - can you recommend the best way to lay paving slabs without actually concreting them in?
I'm no expert on this but something I've done is: dig just below the sod level . Then we put sand down and planted the slabs on top. Then filled in with the sod and dirt. If that's something you are trying to do.πŸ€— like a little area or stone walkway in your garden.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm no expert on this but something I've done is: dig just below the sod level . Then we put sand down and planted the slabs on top. Then filled in with the sod and dirt. If that's something you are trying to do.πŸ€— like a little area or stone walkway in your garden.
Thanks Cathy, the lane that runs at the end of my garden was tarmacked many years ago and it has been breaking up especially in the area where the neighbours keep flooding it. I've been given the paving slabs to reuse, so I thought I would take it all up and put the slabs down instead. It doesn't have heavy use so I'm hoping to do it as cheaply as possible. Sand would be a good option - or maybe gravel?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thanks Cathy, the lane that runs at the end of my garden was tarmacked many years ago and it has been breaking up especially in the area where the neighbours keep flooding it. I've been given the paving slabs to reuse, so I thought I would take it all up and put the slabs down instead. It doesn't have heavy use so I'm hoping to do it as cheaply as possible. Sand would be a good option - or maybe gravel?
We used play sand and it worked just fine. I think gravel is so chunky unless it's peasize that it may be too sharp and chunky. But if someone has better knowledge do that. What we did was a landing at the end of a ramp for a wheelchair. After time went by it settled right in. The sod and dirt became an essential part of the little landing.The slabs were probably 18"x 18"and not thick.😊.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

They make a paver sand made for the base and then the joints between the pavers. To lock everything together. It's more expensive than regular sand.
It hardens up but not like concrete.

COmtnLady

Colorado
Gravel isn't as good as sand. Over time the gravel works its way into the dirt underneath and the walking surface goes crooked and can even crack. Once the stepping stone is seated in, the sand is a much better base. I think that in a wetter environment than what I live in, severe rains might wash through the sand enough that even it might need re-leveled every few years. But it is considerably easier to deal with than concrete or blacktop.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
FWIW Lyn,
We had a bunch of pavers so we just ordered the marble chip & border to contain it. We will set some of the pavers where the yellow cans are and a few to the fence.20240501_083937.jpg20240501_083924.jpg 20240501_083834.jpg....but we are selling this house. I would never have gravel in my yard. I hate the stuff in the grass.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Well...I just bought a car. I bought my Camaro in 1988, that's my only experience in buying a car...I wasn't looking for another car...my IROC should have it's new engine et al, in a week or so and a guy from my church loaned me an immaculate 1998 Ford Taurus when this first happened...it's a great car! Has the original cassette player with a great sound system, a killer heater, air conditioner needs freon, the seats would hold 6 adults, and if needed the trunk would hold 2 bodies...it's a 3.0 engine, but it actually goes alright and I passed a guy yesterday....hurrah....I have missed driving so much...oh and it has... electric windows and they all work...the IROC has hand crank windows...I keep making them go up and down just cuz I can...lolololol the only thing I worried about is the almost 200 thousand miles. BUT...I personally know the owner, he bought it new and has kept so many records. This guy is so ocdc,acdc, whatever, anyway he kept such records that he kept track of every time he filled the tank, and kept the mileage on that tank! The interior is very light gray without a stain on it, even the trunk is immaculate...I feel that someone who has taken such great care of the car visibly took care of that engine as well and maybe I can have it for a good while. I will confess to being very nervous and I had pull over on the way home cuz I thought I was gonna puke...and also on the way home I realized and the car door told me that the color is Star Mist blue...the very same color as my father's 1957 Ford Thunderbird...I hope my new Ford car is not a Fix Or Repair Daily