COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Trying to get rid of my Redfoot babies shows that they are as desirable in south Florida as Cancer. Or a case of Herpes.
So this morning they all went to Beverlys pet center in Hollywood for very cheap. I also gave the owner some TFO care sheets and found that he already knows about soaking and uses a tube uvb.
Just like that. I'm OUT of the breeding business.
It is irresponsible to breed tortoises in this market.
Sorry you weren't able to find the good homes you wanted Ed,
You're right about not breeding them if there is no market for them.
I do hope they find caring forever homes.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hubby helped a friend with some photography issues, and the friend gave him a bag of home grown blueberries and a big bag of frozen, freshly caught trout fillets as a thank you! :)
Hubby drove home for about 20 min with the bag of frozen fish on the floor of his car, and as soon as he got home we stuck them in the freezer- no problems, right?
The next day, when hubby got in his car to drive to a job, it :eek: STUNK of fish!!!! Either the bag had a tiny tear that allowed some fishy ice to leak out and melt, or the bag may have had fishy water on the outside, which melted into his car. Poor hubby pulled out the mats, treated them with the enzyme odor remover that we use when the cats have an accident, but it's no use! :( Even when the mats are NOT IN THE CAR you can smell the fishy odor from outside!!!! He'll get it detailed on Monday, and HOPEFULLY they can get the odors out!!!!!
Any suggestions, John??? @johnandjade
Shake n Vac?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Sorry you weren't able to find the good homes you wanted Ed,
You're right about not breeding them if there is no market for them.
I do hope they find caring forever homes.
That particular pet store has good advice for its buyers.
At $139.99 each, I'm curious to see how quickly they sell. I couldn't find any good owners at $50.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good morning all!

We were woken by a thunderstorm at 2am. Very loud. Very flashy. Very wet. Right overhead. The sun has reappeared.

Today we are tempting fate... going to watch cricket on a bank holiday Monday. Just one of those is a good excuse for the weather gods to turn on the rain taps :D

The cricket concerned is the England v South Africa one day international at Lord's... arguably the most famous cricket ground in the UK. Assuming we get any play, I'll post some postcards :D

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Good morning all!

We were woken by a thunderstorm at 2am. Very loud. Very flashy. Very wet. Right overhead. The sun has reappeared.

Today we are tempting fate... going to watch cricket on a bank holiday Monday. Just one of those is a good excuse for the weather gods to turn on the rain taps :D

The cricket concerned is the England v South Africa one day international at Lord's... arguably the most famous cricket ground in the UK. Assuming we get any play, I'll post some postcards :D

good morning mum :)

yip, it's enevitable ;)

hope you have a great day

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good afternoon all!
And happy Whitsun Bank Holiday to all UK members.
Showery here and very muggy.
We could do with a good storm to clear the air.
Hope you are all having a good Monday.
Well it hasn't rained hard enough to stop the cricket yet

A bit of a shame. At one stage it was a farcical England 20 for 6 (20 runs for 6 men out) in 30 mins... now England all out for 153.

You will get very good betting odds on an England win right now. The chances are very small indeed

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That particular pet store has good advice for its buyers.
At $139.99 each, I'm curious to see how quickly they sell. I couldn't find any good owners at $50.

That was my problem with leopards a few years ago. I think it has a lot to do with one's location. I got my babies down to $50 apiece, then two for $50 and finally gave away the last couple for free. However, when I started up my active partnership with Will, who lives in the San Diego area, he encouraged me to continue to breed and hatch them, and he has no trouble at all selling them. The difference is his location (Southern California) and the fact that he advertises in the reptile classifieds online and will ship. He has people asking when he'll have more leopards to sell.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good morning all!

We have a holiday today too. It's Memorial Day here (a day on which those who died in active military service are remembered)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We have a holiday today too. It's Memorial Day here (a day on which those who died in active military service are remembered)
For us this is the Whitsun holiday ... a movable event in the church calendar, but fixed as the last Monday in May for the sake of sanity.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
THE SUN IS OUT ! I havent seen the sun in so long !
I've opened the windows and sliding door to let the nice breeze come in.
The tortoise food was starting to yellow from all the rain & clouds.
I cut some of the growing seed mix from my pots this morning & gladly Max and Zelda ate it :)
I was a bit worried since last year, Max only wanted store bought greens picky little thing.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That was my problem with leopards a few years ago. I think it has a lot to do with one's location. I got my babies down to $50 apiece, then two for $50 and finally gave away the last couple for free. However, when I started up my active partnership with Will, who lives in the San Diego area, he encouraged me to continue to breed and hatch them, and he has no trouble at all selling them. The difference is his location (Southern California) and the fact that he advertises in the reptile classifieds online and will ship. He has people asking when he'll have more leopards to sell.
South FLORIDA. South Broward County down to South Dade county and Miami, Homestead are saturated in Redfoot. Many fellow keepers and lots of for profit breeders. Even at least one for profit that calls itself a "rescue".
Craigslist is loaded with babies. Pet shops are loaded with babies.
But it's true that I did have some interest from members in other states. And this is after I wrote in the post that they were local south Florida pick up only.
You are correct. People DO want them. Just not many people here.