Coconut Oil?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
We are, first off, primarily discussing EXTRA VIRGIN ORGANIC COLD PRESSED COCONUT OIL. This is vital, this important, this is key.
That is the kind to use for remedy. Not food, every day. For remedy.

For your consideration. I had two very bad state Greek tortoises that I impulsively bought over a year and a half ago. They were non responsive, quiet, not eating. I did a lot of baby food soaks, as expert keepers here on TFO suggested. As a matter of fact, this is how I found TFO, researching for the care of my two new charges. While our family has 4 CDTs that were born in 1952, grandpa raised them (with natural remedies), I was not all that hands on experienced. These Greeks were it. Lo and behold, Greeks stress easily and get the RNS, runny nose syndrome. Yes, they were all that from the trip from Jordan to Egypt to PetSmart to me.

Besides soaks, raised temps, every 3rd day, I gave them a remedy that was a distilled water soak, 1 teaspoon of warmed extra virgin organic cold pressed coconut oil mixed in and 5 drops of raw organic apple cider vinegar. That was their soak. I supervised to be sure that they did not go under. They did not need this in eye or ears. Within 5 days, let's say a week, the runny noses were gone. Now I just needed them to eat. I continued this remedy once a week, after first doing it 3 days straight. They finally ate, 6 weeks into this game, and are doing great says their vet check up.

The vet suggested Baytril. I said let me think about it. Researched. Read a German author/keeper say that Hermanns (testudo right?) tortoises have been affected, gout and kidney failure. Decided, hell no. Add salt to the wounds, nope. These babies need support, not possible deadly side effects or long term damage. Ain't risking it..

This week, I have a Texas (possibly with CDT mix) tortoise, a recent adoption, with a runny nose that started again around Saturday. Fixed this before, when it first came to me 2 months ago. Our weather has been way up hot and then down. Wonky weather the last few weeks. Older fellow, this guy. I have to be very careful with him since he is new to me and also because the vet thinks he is about 40-50 years plus. For him, I mixed 1 tablespoon of distilled water together with a tiny dab of extra virgin cold organic pressed coconut oil and 5 drops of raw organic non pasteurized apple cider vinegar (the kind that looks foggy, that's the mother, the good bacteria). I did his Mazuri and Grassland soak with this. Three days later, no nasal drip.

Remedies are to remediate.

Thanks for the links Patrick. I read them. I understand your concerns but again, like the Web MD site says, it is the LAURIC ACID that helps. Additionally, they say, "because they come from coconuts, they may contain beneficial plant chemicals that have yet to be discovered," says Mozaffarian, researcher and co-director of the cardiovascular epidemiology program at Harvard.

None of the sites address extra virgin organic cold pressed coconut oil. They are talking apples, we are suggesting oranges. The howstuffworks is right, I am very aware of farm politics and manipulations, coconut oil was maligned by the soybean commodities people, they are market manipulators extraordinaire. Soybeans are USA grown, coconuts, not so much. There is more profit in soybean oils so you market the wonders of soybeans and you destroy the coconut oil market. Happens all the time, with so many things. Commodities supply and demand are based on more profit, not better health. I am looking at you banksters, grrr.

Like that site says: "Coconut oil even has its own conspiracy theory -- if coconut oil is so great, why haven't we heard more about it? Some coconut-oil devotees blame U.S. agribusiness. According to the conspiracy theory, coconut oil isn't a domestic crop -- but soybeans are. The darker side of this idea is that partially hydrogenated soybean oil and its now-infamous trans fats were touted as a healthy alternative."

EXTRA VIRGIN ORGANIC COLD PRESSED COCONUT OIL is UNREFINED
*** Avoid refined coconut oil period! It is tasteless and odor less because it has been refined. It is best used for soaps or cosmetic preparations! ***

Extra-virgin coconut oils are made from the first pressing of fresh, raw coconut without the addition of any chemicals.
Centrifuged oil is less likely to be exposed to much heat in the extraction process, so it will taste mild and delicate.

About rancidity: Coconut oil that has been kept at room temperature for a year has been tested for rancidity, and showed no evidence of it.

"In 1988, N.W. Istfan of Harvard University Medical School's Nutrition Coordinating Center, vindicated coconut oil. Dr. Istfan reported: "For the U.S. consumer, the use of coconut oil does not increase the role of heart disease." Other researchers demonstrated that coconut oil reduces the risk of atherosclerosis, heart disease, cancer, and other degenerative conditions. It helps prevent bacterial, viral, and fungal infections, as a result of its antimicrobial component, lauric acid, which is found solely in coconut oil and in breast milk. Coconut oil is rich in MCTs, which provide an immediate source of fuel and energy, and enable the human body to metabolize fat efficiently. This feature helps dieters, athletes, individuals who have difficulty digesting fat, and those with impaired immune systems. Unlike some saturated fats, coconut oil does not raise cholesterol."

This matches what was just published by the British Medical Journal last week.

EXTRA VIRGIN ORGANIC COLD PRESSED all y'all.
Not the refined one but the unrefined one with all the natural goodies and benefits.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Hey Bee bee, I listened to a podcast by Beverly Meyer a while back that was very interesting. She was interviewing a Dr whom stated that refined oil is actually still significantly more beneficial than most other oils and all the goodies weren't lost, while some obviously were reduced. And that their studies for coconut oil benefits was actually done using the refined. It's really a phenomenal oil unless it's in the liquid form or hydrogenated. The liquid obviously has been heavily processed and contains other oils to keep it from solidifying as it normally would at room temps. I'll see if I can find the podcast.

Found it!

http://www.ondietandhealth.com/podcast/coconut-for-health-with-dr-bruce-fife/

apromann4

5 Year Member
philippines
Thanks beebee, very helpful info's, i' l share this to our local group in or country , very very good study n research

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Thanks Elohi, so much. I agree, that even refined it is still a wonderful saturated fat because it is a stable oil and still has the medium chain triglycerides, also known as medium chain fatty acids. Coconut oil is the richest source for these MCTs aka MCFAs. Medium versus long chain is what is best for our health. Most common vegetable and seed oil have the long chain. Without going into detail, long chain triglycerides are hard on the body, hard to break down, stored as fat, hard on the liver and the pancreas (diabetes rise?) Medium chain triglycerides like what is in coconut oil are used in baby foods and even in hospitals for tube feeding.

Important to note: Extra virgin coconut oil should not ever be heated up. Only in salads, smoothies, only used cold, never heated.

Here is what happened on this thread. We were talking a remedy for tortoises. Starsapphire22 bought the regular coconut oil and I said, oops, not that one. Because as good as it is for us, for her/our tortoises we need the best one. That is the one with all the remedy qualities in it. So hence, the extra virgin organic, cold pressed suggestion. For us, yes. For little shelled friends, the close to purest form only.

apromann4, your country is one of the very key sources of this healthful oil! It is so abundant that your country is looking into other things that it can market with it, like automobile oil. What you want is the coconut oil done by the old methods, if you can. That is the purest form, straight from the coconut. The older generation would extract the oil by grating the fresh coconut, extracting the coconut milk, and then letting the coconut milk stand in a covered container for about 24 hours. After about 24 hours, the oil naturally separates from the water producing a crystal clear oil that retains the full scent and taste of coconuts.

I have also soaked my runny nose tortoises in coconut water straight from the coconut. But oy vey, that is simply another thread.

Oh, I see what I did.

In my post above I wrote "not food everyday" but I should have been much clearer that I meant not food for our tortoises every day. People, us, it's okay. Tortoises, of course not. I myself, eat it everyday in my smoothie or salad. Oopsee. Sorry for the confusion of that statement.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal

Keith D.

Arizona
Oops. You bought the wrong one. You want the extra virgin (which means unrefined) organic cold pressed one.

Refined coconut oil is good for frying, and hair, but no longer has the therapeutic (antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral) properties because it has been processed and in the process of processing, they are removed. Organic, extra virgin coconut oil is a little more money, about 2-4 bucks more out here but that's the one you want for you, and for your tortoises. Cold pressed is best, meaning no heat used to get that oil so even less is affected and removed in the refining process.

EVO-CP coconut oil has over 50% lauric acid. Lauric acid in the body is converted into monolaurin, a monoglyceride compound which exhibits antiviral, antimicrobial, antiprotozoal and antifungal properties. It disrupts the lipid membranes in organisms like fungus, bacteria and viruses, thus destroying them. Woohoo for lauric acid. Lauric acid is our friend. Again, when coconut oil is processed, heated up, refined, this vital thing is "poof".

Also, it does hardened up when it is colder and it melts into oil when it is warmer. You can leave the EVO out on the counter, no problem, the lauric acid also serves as a preservative of sorts. Good stuff both you and your tortoise(s), in my experience.
You should look for organic extra virgin unrefined coconut oil, that is what I use for my dogs and for the humans lol. It will say that exactly on the label, I find mine at my local Walmart for around $12.

Alaskamike

South Florida
This is a good discussion. Lots of opposing views with explanation on the " whys".

If anyone is very interested , the long - long thread in the debatable section under Coconut Oil by @glitch is worth a read. Many details and chemical breakdown discussion there.

For me , after a great deal of study and thought , it became a small part of my routine. 1x / week. An application.

I do not put it on skin , as the UV protection , while small, they don't need it.

Each of us must take the best knowledge we can find and decide.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
This is a good discussion. Lots of opposing views with explanation on the " whys".

If anyone is very interested , the long - long thread in the debatable section under Coconut Oil by @glitch is worth a read. Many details and chemical breakdown discussion there.

For me , after a great deal of study and thought , it became a small part of my routine. 1x / week. An application.

I do not put it on skin , as the UV protection , while small, they don't need it.

Each of us must take the best knowledge we can find and decide.
Just read this one as well, this seems a very popular topic.
I will read any others and the BIG one, before I make a decision, but it's fascinating reading.

Prairie Mom

Just read this one as well, this seems a very popular topic.
I will read any others and the BIG one, before I make a decision, but it's fascinating reading.
Hi Adam:) I started using it lightly this summer. My sulcata was drying out so badly in my windy climate, even though she sleeps in a humid closed chamber at night and gets soaks every single day. I finally started applying coconut oil and giving her occasional toothbrush scrubs with the oil during her soaks and it made a HUGE difference. I'm uncertain whether I agree with all the claims on every thread, and don't know if it is something every keeper needs to use, but it certainly helps outdoor torts in my type of climate.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi Adam:) I started using it lightly this summer. My sulcata was drying out so badly in my windy climate, even though she sleeps in a humid closed chamber at night and gets soaks every single day. I finally started applying coconut oil and giving her occasional toothbrush scrubs with the oil during her soaks and it made a HUGE difference. I'm uncertain whether I agree with all the claims on every thread, and don't know if it is something every keeper needs to use, but it certainly helps outdoor torts in my type of climate.
Thanks for that, Chrissy! :)
Tidgy's carapace is currently fine, but I will certainly consider using it if she ever starts to show signs of desiccation.
I must read more, but I am tempted!

Twan777

From my understanding the tortoise shell will eventually replenish itself. The shell will have a natural shine from the foods you feed them and to my understanding the shell actually has to breath. So with that being said putting any type of oil on the shell would interfere with the breathing process of the shell which I would imagine would cause more complication....correct me if I'm wrong....

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't see why its needed . No where in nature do tortoise gods oil tortoises . Make good microclimates people . Get your tortoises outside .

Prairie Mom

I don't see why its needed . No where in nature do tortoise gods oil tortoises . Make good microclimates people . Get your tortoises outside .
This sweeping statement doesn't work for me. I posted exactly a situation where I finally decided to give it a go and it DID benefit my tortoise. I don't think it's necessary for everyone, might have some additional benefits, some may be exaggerated ---(I honestly don't know), BUT it can be a useful tool for some tortoise keepers like myself.

Now, I'm off to steal your son's Christmas present!;)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
He is a fighter ! I get what you are saying . But its like medicine you trade one thing for another . Good sun shine and a water hole works for me .

glendalk

Illinois
I couldn't exchange it. :(

I'll use it up, and make sure to get virgin next time. Or maybe I'll just keep this jar for me and get him his own. ;)
My daughter has very dry skin and uses it on her legs. It has worked very well for her!

Eryl Rayner

Brilliant, just what I wanted to know aswell. I use coconut oil (the right kind) so to think I can use it on Henrietta as well is great ! Mind you my baby is about 68 apparently, so starting to use oil at this age, not sure but think I'll try it. She goes into hibernation today or tomorrow.

Eryl Rayner

oh dear, just did it. Used it for my hands, face then tortoise, still a bit oily so put it on arms, legs, then remembered what you said about using on self first then tortoise - not other way round, perhaps I'd better wash it off, hahaha !