Coconut Oil?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
I read in another thread today about using coconut oil to condition your torts shell and about it's antibacterial properties, etc. When I was at the store today I found it on sale, so I picked some up. But...I'm not sure how to use it, it's solid! Anyone who uses this have any tips?

Attachments

• 1382155528684.jpg
    1382155528684.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 269
  • 1382155538319.jpg
    1382155538319.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 241

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I can't tell you anything about putting it on your tort, but I cook with it and it melts fast. In the summer months it will liquefy in the jar on the shelf and hardens when the kitchen is cool. You can simply run the jar under hot water and that may he enough to melt it.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I use it too, for cooking. My sister in FL uses it as skin moisturizer. Probably not a bad thing for torts though not sure how you might go about using it on them.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Yeah, at the store I thought it looked more like a thick moisturizer kindof consistency...but when I got it home I was just like, huh?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oops. You bought the wrong one. You want the extra virgin (which means unrefined) organic cold pressed one.

Refined coconut oil is good for frying, and hair, but no longer has the therapeutic (antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral) properties because it has been processed and in the process of processing, they are removed. Organic, extra virgin coconut oil is a little more money, about 2-4 bucks more out here but that's the one you want for you, and for your tortoises. Cold pressed is best, meaning no heat used to get that oil so even less is affected and removed in the refining process.

EVO-CP coconut oil has over 50% lauric acid. Lauric acid in the body is converted into monolaurin, a monoglyceride compound which exhibits antiviral, antimicrobial, antiprotozoal and antifungal properties. It disrupts the lipid membranes in organisms like fungus, bacteria and viruses, thus destroying them. Woohoo for lauric acid. Lauric acid is our friend. Again, when coconut oil is processed, heated up, refined, this vital thing is "poof".

Also, it does hardened up when it is colder and it melts into oil when it is warmer. You can leave the EVO out on the counter, no problem, the lauric acid also serves as a preservative of sorts. Good stuff both you and your tortoise(s), in my experience.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Dang it! Even on sale it was still 10 bucks. :( Wonder if they'll let me exchange it... :/

Thanks for the info! That's really helpful. So, once it liquifies a bit, I can just rub it into his shell like lotion?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yes, I am sure you can go back and say "Oops, I really need the extra virgin organic cold pressed one." Don't forget the receipt.

Yes, it softens up. Or get a knife and chip a piece, put it on your hands and rub. It will melt with the warmth, and then put on your tortoise shell, or if need be, on the skin (avoid the eyes). You get the benefit too, on your hands. I rub it on my hands and face first, (always first, never reversed) and then I do the tortoise, that way it is not super oily and messy and again, us peeps get the benefit, too. : )

And you can eat the stuff for our good health. So even though 10-15 bucks seems like a lot, it is something that you can use for you too, so that makes it a good value. Prevention. If you want to separate tortoise stuff from people use, just transfer some into a baby food jar for just tort's use.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
We'll try and return it tomorrow. Fingers crossed, cause my fiance tossed the receipt. DX

Bismarck is about 3 hours away, so not really an option just for some coconut oil, ha.

I'm really excited to try this stuff! How often do you recommend using it on the tort?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
No more than once a week on the shell and plastron, very lightly, after most has gone to you when you rub it. Very light if it is a young tortoise, less than a year. You do not want to interfere with its ability to hydrate, although coconut oil is permeable.

When my two little Greeks were acclimating and had runny nose syndrome which I did not know if it came from stress or from actual upper respiratory, I took a cotton swab and put some on their necks, under the beak, at the top back of the head and legs. And yes, I actually added some, about a teaspoon to their warm soaking water, twice a week. I made very sure they did not go under to where the could get it in their eyes. I really hoped that the therapeutic effect would work as a remedy. It couldn't hurt, in my opinion. And all that anti stuff is what is needed to stop things from getting worse at the pass. Oh, and I also soaked some Mazuri in it, once a week. Again, my tortoises were wild caught, totally shy, totally not eating, totally shell shocked from their experience to the USA. I was doing all the remedies I thought would work. Did. Happy.

And I just think it's great when something for tortoises is good for me, and vice versa. Eat more salads, use more coconut oil (EVO-CP, of course), add it to a smoothie, put in on your face, LOL. : ) Keep us updated on your experience / your thoughts as you use it, so every one learns, too. : )

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
I say nothing beats good nutrition, heat and humidity for a perfect shell appearance. My concern about using coconut oil or any of those cheap magic shell remedies is it will block the tortoises shell and skin pores and interfere with its ability to absorb moisture, warmth and light properly.
The shell parts of a tortoise are porous and need to breath, nothing beats good husbandry, which requires time, a lot of money, and attention.
Unfortunately most people that own tortoises want a short cut in owning a tortoise and the tortoises are the ones who suffer with health problems and a short life span, their owners don't provide the correct foods, heat, humidity for there particular species. I think these tortoise owners subconsciously know what they should be doing but for some reason they don't do it, I guess the word I'm searching for neglect.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
With the store bought magic shell conditioner products, I could understand that concern. I don't think it would be an issue with coconut oil, as long as you aren't slathering a ton on there. It IS breathable, and a light coat once in a while isn't replacing good husbandry (for me at least)...just adding to it! :)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
That coconut oil isn't going to hurt your tort but the virgin oil is optimal.

I use the refined in my coffee every morning because it has no flavor. I eat a paleo diet so I put fat in/on everything [WINKING FACE]

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
StarSapphire22- coconut oil solidifies. Use a utensil to get out a little chunk and rub it in between your palms, the heat from your hands will melt it and then you can rub it into your torts shell. I keep mine in the fridge so I pretty much have to use an ice pick to break a piece off :)

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
The best thing about this forum is you just might read a post about the history of tortoise keeping and learn about those who seriously studied and researched on the field tortoise species like Charles Darwin, Eric Good, Jerry Fife, Larry Gaugler just to name a few. These educated men (not limited to men) have dedicated part their lives to scientific study and breeding of tortoises. Of course they don't know everything because the tortoise health and husbandry topic is very complex, but we should listen to the logic and follow our heart.

I trust your using this oil on you babies sparingly and with great care but another thing to consider is there are many thousands of people who own tortoises from all over the world who possibly can't read English very well and assume that its okay to rub oil on tortoises. We here who really love tortoises should be aware of the possibility that our posts could be misconstrued.
Beside water I would not put anything on my tortoises unless it was medicine directed by a educated reptile veterinarian.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Patrick, see your point but respected tortoise keepers have evolved to that. Extra virgin cold pressed organic coconut oil is permeable and has many important properties including, antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral. It comes from the first press of fresh, raw coconut and is not refined or processed, so the therapeutic properties are there. I used it to get two wild caught Greeks better. My grandfather used it often on 4 CDTs, born in 1952. First sign of runny nose and they got a coconut oil massage. Sadly, vets can also be misleading. Not all, of course, but how many tortoises have died from Baytril and its blamed on the whatever ailed it when it was the vet prescribed medicine that did it in? And keepers paid good money, to have their tortoise die. Baytril according to the maker, Bayer Animal Health, is not to be used on tortoises and yet vets nation wide use it. What is that all about? Veterinarians do not all believe, or are even taught in school, about holistic, preventative remedies. There is not profit, or not enough profit, in holistic. As grandpa would say, "If man made it, even German man (he was German), do not trust it. Nature bats first, and last". I believe, my very own opinion, that natural remedies are more useful and effective, based on personal long term experience. Animal bodies are meant to heal themselves, they just need support. That is what, we, as captive care givers and hosts, are obligated to provide. Good care. A leg up on the saddle, if you will. But I do respect your opinion and understand where you are coming from. Also, a lot of our forum members may not all have access to vet driven medicine. Natural remedies are more easily accessible in most of the world. Baytril, not so much. Not supposed to be, since it is not for use on tortoises. If I am to believe the maker. : )

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
No receipt thing. right? Bummers. Use it for you, no loss. Forever more you will know that you need to get EVO-CP, LOL. All good. It's great for many things people-wise but the best one is the extra virgin organic cold pressed one. That one has all the good things. I can't believe they would not exchange it. Boo on them.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The thing about the tortoise shell, or any reptile skin for that matter, is that it is waterproof. Nothing really permeates into it or out of it. There are no sweat glands or pores or anything for a substance like that to penetrate past a very superficial level.

Applying an anti-biotic, anti-fungal element to the shell, whether it is coconut oil, aloe vera, Triple Antibiotic Ointment, or Betadine Solution will indeed kill the surface germs, fungi, etc. (depending on what you use), but then again, surface germs cannot get through the skin either.

BeeBee said "Animal bodies are meant to heal themselves, they just need support. That is what, we, as captive care givers and hosts, are obligated to provide." This may be one of the best things I have ever read on this forum! When it comes to reptiles, this means the RIGHT diet (not what is on sale at the store or hyped through some site), and the RIGHT cares and temps (and slightly boosted to help empower their immune system, which is strengthened more by warm sunlight than almost anything else out there).

Holistic and alternative therapies ARE often overlooked or ridiculed by the mainstream, but some of it is the holistic medicine field's won fault- there is almost no internal policing to protect us from lies, exaggerated claims, bad formulations, and so on.

My favorite example is knee pain, a common ailment especially if you are a bit heavy and aging. Almost everyone touts glucosamine and chondroitin, often in conjunction with fish oils or vitamins, etc. If it is not working for you, it is because you are taking the wrong version (it has to be g. sulfate, or whatever the other version is), or the wrong dose, or whatever.

However, in study after study, including a big new one, most of the holistic versions are proven to be barely more helpful than a placebo, and only in a small group of people. What DOES work is mostly exercise and weight loss (and some NSAIDs or pain relievers- mostly to manage the pain, not effect any actual cure.)

Exercise and weight loss are nearly the definition of good holistic medicine (medicine that looks at and treats the 'whole' person), but that is not the focus you see most of the time. Most practitioners and supporters push supplements and lotions like they are getting paid to do so (and, in point of fact, many are!)

Sorry- getting off topic! As a shell conditioner, I really doubt it has anything more to offer than other things hyped as shell conditioners. I did an article about this topic here if you are interested:https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/health-and-medical/shell-conditioners