Coconut Oil?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Thank you Mark. Your input is always very much appreciated.

I kinda thought that about the skin and shell, since it looks like nothing can bust through, but when I used coconut oil (again, extra virgin, organic, cold pressed) I was hoping all the anti things (anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal) that coconut oil has, that these benefits/properties would serve as a barrier of sorts from Wabi-Sabi getting more problems. My head was thinking, if they have something from their far away travels from the Middle East to the USA, and they are so scared/stressed that they are my new impulse buy pet zombie tortoises, I certainly did not need any more icky things that may be here to attack them. We all know the basic thing in nature. If you are weak, you get attacked. I used the oil externally as an armour of sorts. I did not need them to be shiny and blingy. I needed them to not die. I did, twice a week, add some coconut oil to their Mazuri or their Grassland. About 1/8th of a teaspoon. But when they were refusing to eat, hello? they would not get it. The chickens and the worms in the compost pile saw the benefit from all the food I threw away untouched by my little shelled freak outs. I added coconut oil to their water when I did the baby food soaks, in hopes that it would get in to them that way. I had read Yvonne and Maggie explain that they can get some of their spa water in from their little bum. I think what finally got them going was a combination of things and that they were finally feeling safe and that I was probably not going to eat them. We must look weird to them. Big and scary and predator like, if they have been in a desert with not much human contact, like all their lives. Until their strange trip out of their native lands.

I totally agree about holistic, it has to be as a whole, from the most basic, with real food to nourish and exercise to rev things up, on out. Natural remedies need to be tried and tested by each individual since every one has different chemistry or tolerances. No different than western prescribed FDA approved/paid for, expensive, medicine. Until years later, when the commercials from the lawyers show up on the telly and ask you if you had a stroke, or heart attack, or died, then hey, have we got a lawsuit for you to join in! Excuse me?

If the drugs are speculative with side effects, then I am placing my bets on what nature made and not what man thinks will work because man made things fix one thing and compromise the other, like liver, kidney or heart. Oh wait, we really, really need those. Chinese medicine, thousands of years older and tried and true practical, dare I say evidenced-based by millions of people perhaps. more than Western cmedicine, clearly emphasizes liver and kidney support. Compromising those, results in a downward spiral. You fix one and mess something else that is perhaps even more vital.

I share this in the hopes that others will consider options in helping their tortoises to thrive. And for themselves too, the keep peeps.

Thanks again, Mark. And Heather, yes, of course! : )

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Bee bee, you speak my language [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Kameo37

5 Year Member
The only thing I could see that could go wrong is that coconut oil does have some spf to it. It can be used as a natural low spf sunscreen. I can't remember the exact spf, but I think it's in the 5-7 range. It won't make much of a difference if you are only using it once a week, I wouldn't think.
PS- I agree, coconut oil is amazing! I use it on everything and in everything I can! Medium chain fatty acids FTW!! ;)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Re: RE: Coconut Oil?

Kameo37 said:
The only thing I could see that could go wrong is that coconut oil does have some spf to it. It can be used as a natural low spf sunscreen. I can't remember the exact spf, but I think it's in the 5-7 range. It won't make much of a difference if you are only using it once a week, I wouldn't think.
PS- I agree, coconut oil is amazing! I use it on everything and in everything I can! Medium chain fatty acids FTW!! ;)

So for the scientifically-challenged here (raises hand), what you're saying is that it may block UV rays for a short while after use?

I feel like I, the freakishly pale girl allergic to most commercial sunscreens, should not be struggling to grasp this. I need to go back to bed. XD

Kameo37

5 Year Member
That is what I'm saying. I, who os also a member of the pale club, would never depend on coconut oil as a sunscreen bc the spf is so very low. Plus, it is pretty greasy and does grease up your clothes.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
elohi, like minds. Fun!
Oh yeah kameo37, you bring back memories. Ban de Soleil was banned from use in our home. Unless we could pronounce and explain every ingredient. Coppertone was "You drink oranges, not go look like one." I just dated myself. For the youngsters, Coppertone used to turn skin orange. It was comedy. Oh the __'s!
The stuff we used was coconut oil with a gardenia in it. From Tahiti, in health food stores, called Monoi Tiare. My friends that used chemical sun tan lotions, most ended up with skin problems, including skin cancer. Who knows why. I chose to believe it was from ingredients that were hard to pronounce.
For tortoises, as noted above, it was about the little Greeks not getting any more bacteria or viruses above and beyond what they may have come with. I used a cotton swab to put their little "second skin" on. With the walking and grazing, most rubbed off by the end of the day anyhow. We do these things to support their immune system so they can fight off the scare/stress. And less is more with this oil. Very little goes a long way. Holly-Go-Lightly, LOL.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Someone mentioned that a tortoises shell and skin and of reptiles is not porous, that is ridiculous and not true. Both the carapace and the plastron of a tortoise or turtle is comprised of living tissue. It needs oxygen and exposure to sunlight to keep healthy.

The build-up of soils, waxes, oils, or other preparations, is actually harmful to a tortoise's shell. The keratin and bony layers contain millions of microscopic pores, and things such as the products mentioned actually clog the pores, causing problems.

Yes many vets are ignorant too but the kind of vets we bring our pets too falls on us. If you are looking for a good reptile vet, call around, ask questions and get references. If you live far from a good vet, read lots of books of research on tortoises done by those who are qualified etc.

Coconut oil, it's not worth the risk. I imagine there is now (because of this post) a bunch of ignorant tortoise owners lathering up their tortoises with coconut oils thinking it will make their tortoises healthier and grow nicer shells, this is wrong and dangerous. If a tortoise doesn't get it's proper UV light because of this remedy it could develop bone disease MBD.

The repeated medicinal use of coconut oil may carry some serious side effects, such as elevated cholesterol and blood lipids (in humans). There are some reports and studies that support certain benefits of coconut oil, but in most cases more research is needed to know for sure, (how much more for a tortoise, that has been thriving on the Earth way before we got here) so in my opinion it's not worth the risk.

If your worried about bacteria and shell rot, try using some good quality sphagnum moss, the acidic properties in it will help. If you keep your tortoises and their enclosure clean, a healthy diet, proper temps, and humidity levels for each species, you will be assisting your tortoise and supporting your tortoise to thrive.
Those who have commented on this post have good intentions and have stated they apply the oil sparingly but I think we should stick to the basics. Lastly just because something is natural does not make it harmless. It’s one of the biggest poison myths of all time: ‘all-natural’ or ‘organic’ substances are safer than their man-made or ‘chemical’ counterparts. However, the fact is that some of the most toxic substances known to man come straight from mother earth (or her creatures). Coconut maybe harmless to humans or not but not enough research has been done using it as a topical treatment on a tortoise and what about species differentiation, and age, breeding. There is more questions than answers, so again it's not worth the risk.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Thanks Patrick.
Again, there is a difference - I cannot stress this enough - between extra virgin, organic, cold pressed (EVO-CP) coconut oil and refined coconut oil. A huge difference. Like anything refined and processed (white bread, white rice, white sugar), refined coconut oil is worthless for remedy. It's gunk, it's junk. It's for frying and for hair conditioner. The elevated cholesterol and lipids that you refer to is the refined coconut oil. Before Westerners went to the islands with their goodies, people ate freshly pressed coconut oil and were skinny for centuries, their skin was lovely, hair healthy. It is the refining and the processing and the modification that has destroyed real food.

When refined, all of the benefits of the vital lauric acid, gone. Lauric acid is what helps make CO antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal. Like a tortoises diet -and I do give mine spinach on occasion - if coconut oil is an all day, every day thing for months on end, yes, that is much too much. Like keepers of old giving iceberg lettuce, all day every day for years on end. NO, NO, and NO-NO-NO. Remedies are done to give a tortoise a leg up on healing thyself which animals are more than able to do, with a little help up.

Now, my understanding of the tortoises shell is that it is like my fingernail. It breathes not. The application to the shell and skin was to keep my tortoises from getting worse. Weak animals attract a lot of bad things. Opportunistic as bad things are, be they bacteria, virus, fungus, parasites. You have the good, you have the bad. I wanted more good than bad. I wanted kidneys stronger. Liver functioning. I wanted these guys out of zombie state from being plucked from the desert in the middle east, thrown in a hot truck, probably not fed again until they were at the PetSmart distribution center, or even the store. Before that, they probably arrived to that Egyptian family business that has brokered chelonians from the ME deserts for generations, taken to Jordan for their paper work out, in a truck, in a plane, up in the sky when they need earth under their feet, to the new USA brokers ... to a warehouse, to a store, to me. No wonder many of these little guys are stunned into not eating. Holistic remedies are kinder. Baytril is not even suppose to be used by tortoises according to the maker in a letter to me. So do I want a medicine that can shock a weak animal further? or can I be patient and diligent, with a combination of remedies that are nature made and not man designed but guinea pigged/tried out on my pets and maybe it will work, or may be not. And a few hundred dollars later your pet dies but it is never blamed on the medicine, always on the ailment. Not me. Just saying.
My grandfather had dogs that lived to be 18 to 20 years old. Tortoises that live today, born in 1952. He was 107 when he finally went to a bigger farm with more animals. He, a German, said that if man made it, even German man, do not fully trust it. Nature bats first, and last.
Lastly, every one does the best they can with the knowledge that comes their way. Knowledge is power. For me personally, medicine is too money driven to trust. Doctors make no money by suggesting holistic remedies. Pharma however, big profits. Bigger side effects. And even death. I want nature up to bat first.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
You should never put any thing on the shell: it is living tissue, and oils and lotions can block the pores and attract dirt. If the shell is dirty, a soft toothbrush and water can be used to gently clean it off.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
The repeated medicinal use of coconut oil may carry some serious side effects, such as elevated cholesterol and blood lipids (in humans). There are some reports and studies that support certain benefits of coconut oil, but in most cases more research is needed to know for sure, (how much more for a tortoise, that has been thriving on the Earth way before we got here) so in my opinion it's not worth the risk.

This is actually extremely untrue. While coconut oil is high is saturated fat, it does not increase cholesterol or lipids. A low fat diet, heavy in processed foods causes elevated cholesterol. (I'm referring to BAD cholesterol here) cholesterol itself is EXTREMELY important to the brain and is required for the production of every hormone in the human body. The body makes cholesterol whether you ingest it or not, inflammation within the body (arteries specifically in this case) and elevated bad cholesterol (which is actually sticking to artery walls in an effort to heal inflammation) is actually unhealthy and can lead to illness and ultimately a premature death.

I eat a high fat diet. (Paleo). I've eaten this way for well over a year. My labs that I just got the results of yesterday, are perfect. I get a copy of them on Friday. A mason jar of coconut oil lasts me two weeks. I eat 6 eggs most days. I eat a lot of meats, I eat a ton of grass fed butter in my cooked foods.
Thousands of people everyday are discovering the truth about fat and cholesterol and how important healthy fats are to our health and longevity.
I am thin. I lost 21 lbs within 3 months of changing the way I eat. (lots of veggies and nuts as well as the above mentioned) I've veered totally off topic...so back to the point.

Coconut is not unsafe if used in minute amounts on an occasional basis. It should be seen as a healing ointment not a primping tool for a shiny shell. I'm not advocating for the use of coconut oil except as a healing ointment for animals. Should you slather it all over your tortoise? Probably not the best idea. This oil is in a league of its own and shouldn't be compared to other oils or ointments.
Anyyyyyhoooo SMILE!
A little coconut oil on an abrasion, a bite, or a wound is a good thing, not a detriment to the critters health.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1382460816.244282.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Elohi, cutest picture ever! : )

StarSapphire22, your Littlefoot is darling. Just remember a little bit goes a long way. Just be sure it is the extra virgin, organic, cold pressed on so that lauric acid can do some good.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hip, hip, hooray!!! Even though this thread is NOT in the debatable topics section, this has been a great debate, with both sides being courteous and informative. For people like me, who know nothing about coconut oil, I have learned a great deal from both sides, and I am now able to make an informed decision.

Thank you all for being so courteous to each other and showing us all that it is quite ok to have different opinions and it isn't necessary to get into a fight about it.

YIPPEE!!!!

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
It was really interesting reading this post, but I couldn't help to wonder about one thing. What do you do about oil getting into small nooks of the shell? I know that my tortoise had some spots where the shell made some small "flaps" of old tissue, due to old injuries. I'd be scared of oil getting in there and becoming rancid.

Kameo37

5 Year Member
Yvonne, you have got to try it! For yourself! It's wonderful stuff! If you google "uses for coconut oil" you'll be astounded. Although, I admit, I have never seen "apply to your tortoise's shell" on any of those lists... ;)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Here is a little chart to breaks down the most common oils. There is more details available but this is the simple version to show stability.
HTH
ImageUploadedByTortForum1382555815.149797.jpg

Oh and to clarify, this is technically for cooking, not animal application LOL. just as a reference ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
peasinapod, cotton swabs. And extra virgin, organic, cold pressed coconut oil has lauric acid and so it will not become rancid. As a matter of fact, you can leave it on your counter, no worries. The EVO-CP coconut oil has preservative properties as well. Refined coconut oil, like white bread, white sugar, white rice, while "edible" is not real food any more. It has been altered. Man has messed around with it for profit. EVO-CP for me! Antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal ... what is not to love?

Important to note: The anti-coconut oil propaganda in the 70's and 80's was over the saturated fats in refined coconut oil by the makers of other oils, for one. For two, it was market manipulation. Know this, once refined, the hydrogenation process messes vegetable and seed oils because hydrogen atoms are added in the heating process (see why we say COLD PRESSED). This hydrogenated oil is only good for long shelf life and profit, but it can make YOU have a short shelf life, LOL. Avoid hydrogenated oils like they are poison. Because they are. On the other hand, hydrogenated coconut oil can replace motor oil but that is another thread, or maybe another forum! : )

I forgot to say. Saturated fats aka and better known as trans fats.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Cancel my "forgot to say" above. I forgot to finish that whole thought. Darn phone calls. Grrrrr.

Saturated fats from cold pressed coconut oil are stable and have zero trans fat. It is also a medium chain fatty acid which is quickly absorbed, metabolized and converted into energy. It helps our immune system and all the other anti things noted above.

This is an interesting read from an English cardiologist ...

Four decades of medical wisdom that cutting down on saturated fats reduces our risk of heart disease may be wrong, a top cardiologist has said. Fatty foods that have not been processed – such as butter, cheese, eggs and yoghurt – can even be good for the heart, and repeated advice that we should cut our fat intake may have actually increased risks of heart disease, said Dr Aseem Malhotra.

Writing in the British Medical Journal, he argues that saturated fats have been “demonised” since a major study in 1970 linked increased levels of heart disease with high cholesterol and high saturated fat intake.

The NHS currently recommends that the average man should eat no more than 30g of saturated fat a day and women no more than 20g. However, Dr Malhotra, a specialist at Croydon University Hospital, said that cutting sugar out of our diets should be a far greater priority.

He told The Independent: “From the analysis of the independent evidence that I have done, saturated fat from non-processed food is not harmful and probably beneficial. Butter, cheese, yoghurt and eggs are generally healthy and not detrimental. The food industry has profited from the low-fat mantra for decades because foods that are marketed as low-fat are often loaded with sugar. We are now learning that added sugar in food is driving the obesity epidemic and the rise in diabetes and cardiovascular disease.”

A recent study indicated that 75 per cent of acute heart attack patients have normal cholesterol concentrations, suggesting that cholesterol levels are not the real problem, Dr Malhotra argued.

He also pointed to figures suggesting the amount of fat consumed in the US has gone down in the past 30 years while obesity rates have risen.

Bad diet advice has also led to millions of patients being prescribed statins to control their blood pressure, he argues, when simply adopting a Mediterranean diet might be more effective.

However, Professor Peter Weissberg, medical director at the British Heart Foundation, said: “Studies on the link between diet and disease frequently produce conflicting results because, unlike drug trials, it’s very difficult to undertake a properly controlled, randomised study. However, people with highest cholesterol levels are at highest risk of a heart attack.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Elohi said:
This is actually extremely untrue.

You say extremely untrue?
at the bottom of this post here are some of my resource links on coconut oil dangers and concerns written by Doctors. I am not a doctor but when in doubt about something that could be dangerous don't do it. I also love coconut but I read in the link it is the highest amount of saturated fat of any fat.

About rubbing this magic remedy on tortoises, bad idea, don't do it. Some of my points to consider.

1. It is used in the tropics as a sun block, so it's possible it could block the UV light that tortoises really need.

2. Yes tortoises have pores, microscopic pores, which need to be clear to absorb moisture. Many of us have tortoises that get their water intake from soaks, misting, humidity etc. The possibility the oil could block moisture contributing to dehydration is of course very dangerous for a tortoise.

3. Coconut oil can become rancid when exposed to oxygen and water, rancid oil forms harmful free radicals that possibly become poisonous and toxic.

4. There are TF people from all over the world reading our posts some of who might not be able to understand English very well or who are just ignorant and from the way everyone (but I) is praising this magic coconut oil remedy there will probably be many from all over the world that will start rubbing coconut oil on their tortoises everyday. I can totally see these posts being misconstrued.

As tortoises lovers we should always take the high road and only do whats best for our tortoises. Husbandry that was shared to us by those who have done serious great work in Herpetology. If you want to experiment on your own tortoise with different remedies that you feel have magic results that's up to you, but unless someone has a Hematological study that in summary states that using coconut oil on a tortoise carapace is safe, I say (the guy who cares about your tortoise) what I said from the beginning, don't do it it's not worth the risk.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Health_Letter/2011/May/coconut-oil

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/natural-medicine/alternative/coconut-oil.htm

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/coconut-oil-and-health