Cloudy Eyes Burmese Mountain Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtortoisefamily

5 Year Member
We are a new tortoise family and just welcomed our first tortoise to our home a week ago. Yesterday I noticed his eyes were white/cloudy and not clear/black as they had been. We have been soaking him and keeping his enclosure humid as recommended. He seems to be eating normally. At times his eyes to clear up...is this normal??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, it's not normal. What kind of light are you using? If it's a coil-type compact fluorescent bulb, disconnect it immediately.

When you say "cloudy" do you mean that the eyeball actually clouds over, or do you mean that the third membrane covers the eyeball?

Have you read any care sheets about this type of tortoise? They don't do well under bright/hot lights, preferring a more shady/warm environment. Can you post a picture of the habitat?

newtortoisefamily

5 Year Member
photo.JPGI have attached a picture of the habitat...trying to read up as much as I can and now Im not so sure if its actually cloudy or the 3rd membrane as you stated. There is a bright light on top of the habitat (see picture) this was all recommended/given to me by the reptile store...thanks for helping!!

Last edited by a moderator:

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
If it's eyes are closed it might be dehydrated and ill, start soakings in 95 F water for 20 minutes a day.
Mountains love moisture, soakings, humidity and misting, get the tank humidity up at 90% and I highly recommend a few inches of jungle mix as a substrate because it holds moisture well and looks cool, be sure you freeze the substrate over night first. Also for $23 your vet can run a fecal exam, this will tell if the parasite level is too high or if it's clean.

newtortoisefamily

5 Year Member
Thank you for the advice...i have started soaking him more and turned off the "heat" lamp in his enclosure. His eyes open after soaking so I am almost sure it is dehydration! Is there a certain "jungle mix" you would recommend??

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
Being a forest dweller, they don't really dig the bright lights... and that enclosure looks bright. What I've done is mount a small tube width-wise on one end of my enclosure. It keeps it just bright enough to see, while keeping ¾ of it fairly dark and shadowed.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois

newtortoisefamily

5 Year Member
this information has been so helpful, thank you all! I think we now have one happy/healthy tortoise...after removing the "basking" light that was maintaining a toasty 90 degrees and drying out the entire enclosure (including the little tortoise), also adding a mister...the enclosure is holding at 75 degrees with 60% humidity...no more "clouded" eyes and he really seems to have more energy moving about!!

thanks to all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.