Cleaning My New Tort?

Pottergalval

Hello!

I bought my first Russian Tortoise today from Petco, the environment of which I wasn't too pleased with. I don't know the history of my new tort (the employees were rather clueless) and the other one in his enclosure seemed pretty sickly. Should I clean him? And if so, how?

Thanks!

Val

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

Pottergalval

You should be soaking a new tortoise every other day or so in warm shallow water. You can wipe of the shell with your hand or a soft toothbrush under running warm water after the soaks.

Here is the care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Pet stores are full of misinformation. I hope these threads will help you.
Thank you for the info and links. I was planning to do warm water soaks, but wasn't sure if there was a way to get rid of any bacteria my tort may have picked up from the pet store.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Welcome to TFO. Warm water is all you need for your baby, unless you are dealing with festering wounds or fresh serious injuries. Whatever your new tort was at risk of being exposed to from the other animal, has already happened. Just keep him warm and do his regular soaks, give him best food and his body will take care of it. My only concern would be introducing him to other animals. As much as I hate the idea, I'd really advocate for keeping him in "hospital quarters" for few weeks until you sort all that out.

Pottergalval

Welcome to TFO. Warm water is all you need for your baby, unless you are dealing with festering wounds or fresh serious injuries. Whatever your new tort was at risk of being exposed to from the other animal, has already happened. Just keep him warm and do his regular soaks, give him best food and his body will take care of it. My only concern would be introducing him to other animals. As much as I hate the idea, I'd really advocate for keeping him in "hospital quarters" for few weeks until you sort all that out.
I have no other animals, so this isn't a problem! :) He got really stressed yesterday when I soaked him for the first time. I'm worried that he's never been soaked before. Hopefully he gets used to it. Thanks for the help!

Pearly

5 Year Member
I have no other animals, so this isn't a problem! :) He got really stressed yesterday when I soaked him for the first time. I'm worried that he's never been soaked before. Hopefully he gets used to it. Thanks for the help!
My babies always freaked out during soaking until one night I told my daughter to do it in the bath tub. There's lots of room for them to walk and I have to happily report that bath time has become very enjoyable for all of us lately

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Likely you purchased a tortoise that was once wild...so the tortoise is going to be stressed in a big way just with the travel they are forced to endure from wild to the pet store....soaking for a lot of species is not something that they would do in the wild...some species yes, but a lot are drinkers and not soakers....so if you are patient the tortoise may eventually become use to it...and then the individual tortoise may never become comfortable with it....spraying some water on the food offerings will also help with water intake....

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
Mine hated soaks until I actually got a thermometer - they like 85 a 90 F temp which which feels cooler than you think!
I put them in small plastic container under their heat lamp, they are happy for a good 20 minutes that way. Any longer it cools off too much.

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
Also, if you can get a vet to do a fecal analysis for parasites it would be very well worth the cost, your tort likely needs to be de-wormed.
I would hold off on the bathtub idea till you know it is parasite free.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Also, if you can get a vet to do a fecal analysis for parasites it would be very well worth the cost, your tort likely needs to be de-wormed.
I would hold off on the bathtub idea till you know it is parasite free.
Yes, we would rather avoid sharing our bathtub with baby torts who poop in their spa. Unused guest bath works perfectly in this case