Pinworms - cleaning terra

Tutuola

Hi everyone,

The vet suggested to give Panacur to my babies to rid of pinworms. I gave it today morning. He didnt talk about cleaning a terra. So I would like to ask for your oppinion.
I have new terra from the end of december. So only 1 month old. I do baths to babies so most of time they poo inside water. If not in the water, I collect it in a hour. Would you change the ground too? Or just keep eye on next poos?
The eggs from the pinworms are only distributed by poos, right?

Thank you very much for your answer
Martina

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
After administering Panacur, you may also see whole tiny worms in the poop.
They are dying.
I'd keep any animal being treated away from the rest. If your saying you have more than one.
If the tortoise is alone. Just keep the enclosure as clean as you can.
Panacur is distributed in a couple of doses, days apart. So it'll be a while.
Then change everything out.

Tutuola

After administering Panacur, you may also see whole tiny worms in the poop.
They are dying.
I'd keep any animal being treated away from the rest. If your saying you have more than one.
If the tortoise is alone. Just keep the enclosure as clean as you can.
Panacur is distributed in a couple of doses, days apart. So it'll be a while.
Then change everything out.
I have a two of them, both got Panacur;)

According to vet, I will give second drug in a week. So, clean after that or after some day from first drug?
Do you mean everything out - like really everything out? :D I was hoping in just change first two centimetrs or something like that. But if you think everything, I will prepare myself to do that :D Its about 250kg of sand... I was so stupid not to do worm test before changing tera.
Thank you very much for your help

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My tortoises live outside. The area is very large.
For a small inside pen, I'd scoop out as much of the substrate/Terra that I could, if not all so that the risk of them being RE infected would be less.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would take everything out and keep them on paper towells or newspaper during the treatment. We normally treat once then again in 10 days. After a couple weeks you can put new substrate back in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like I said, I'd remove all the substrate during the treatment and not add fresh back in until after a couple weeks.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have a two of them, both got Panacur;)

According to vet, I will give second drug in a week. So, clean after that or after some day from first drug?
Do you mean everything out - like really everything out? :D I was hoping in just change first two centimetrs or something like that. But if you think everything, I will prepare myself to do that :D Its about 250kg of sand... I was so stupid not to do worm test before changing tera.
Thank you very much for your help
Perhaps this would be a good time to change the substrate to a more suitable material other than sand. Orchard bark, fine grade, works really well. But, what type tortoise do you have?