cherry head

Status
Not open for further replies.

c.d.w.

5 Year Member
hi everyone, frustrated tortoise owner, i have 4 cherry head and one leopard tortoise. Turtle enclosure temp is 90*, the ambient temp is 80*, Im using peat moss and cyprus mulch in enclosure. I also mist enclosure frequently. My problem im having is one of my cherry head is not eating like it should. For the longest time it would it very well. Now it will run from food and eat all the other turtles poop in the enclosure that it can find. All help would be greatly appreciated.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
90 is awfully warm for a red-footed, even the hardier cherry-heads. Low 80's is more like it for them. In fact, few tortoises want 90 overall, unless they are warming up or sometimes digesting a 'tough' meal.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome. First off the cherries should not be with the leopard. Second, the one running is probably getting bullied by either the leopard or other cherries. You may have to separate all of them. I would get the leopard out into his own enclosure. Then I would also take the one that's not eating and put him in his own enclosure. Then keep an eye for any more bullying on the ones left together.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
wellington said:
Welcome. First off the cherries should not be with the leopard. Second, the one running is probably getting bullied by either the leopard or other cherries. You may have to separate all of them. I would get the leopard out into his own enclosure. Then I would also take the one that's not eating and put him in his own enclosure. Then keep an eye for any more bullying on the ones left together.

LOL! I did not even notice that he was housing the warm dry grassland species with the war, humid, forest species!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! So the one won't eat "real" food only tortoise droppings? What are you feeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.