Can I use pellets as substrate for my Russian tortoise?

ElisTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
My tortoise is 1years old
Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 72

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
One of my rescues came with those, I tested an enclosure with them, and the humidity averaged 10%. DEADLY arid conditions. I use peat moss mulch from a local feed store (comes in large bales for $8) and will hold moisture for days, only needed periodic watering to keep humidity 40-60%.

I've also looked into ReptiBark, as it's far less messy and holds humidity equally as well. I have 8 tortoises, so reptibark is not very cost effective for me.

I bought a case of little cheapo thermometer/hygrometers on Amazon for $15. I placed them all over my enclosures to get an idea of my humidity levels. Very revealing as to which substrates maintained better humidity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Can you? Yes. I used alfalfa pellets for YEARS. A better question is, "Would a pellet substrate be good for my Russian tortoise?" The answer to that question is - no...for the reason Tom said.

Just because I used pellets for my tortoises' substrate doesn't mean it was a good substrate. It just means I didn't know any better. We know now that tortoises do better on something you can moisten; especially baby tortoises.

casslock

5 Year Member
EllasTortoise said:
My tortoise is 1years old
Thanks!

I use Coco Coir. I find mine at the pet store, near the reptile supplies. You can buy it online too. It comes in a brick, add some water and it expands a lot. When it's damp, it packs down nicely and isn't really messy. It smells good too, very fresh. It holds moisture and my baby tort can burrow in it. It's easy to find and not very expensive for one tortoise :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
casslock said:
I use Coco Coir. I find mine at the pet store, near the reptile supplies. You can buy it online too. It comes in a brick, add some water and it expands a lot. When it's damp, it packs down nicely and isn't really messy. It smells good too, very fresh. It holds moisture and my baby tort can burrow in it. It's easy to find and not very expensive for one tortoise :)

This is my favorite substrate for baby russians too. It can also be found at garden centers in great big blocks for the same price as those little bricks from the chain pet stores. I bought a block big enough to do two 100 gallon tanks, a 135 gallon tank, and 7 little tarantula enclosures for $12.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yep, all the people who know better have already responded. Please follow that great advice and x them pellets.
Just say no to pellets, say I. Sulcata Sandy, OMG, 10% humidity. No wonder so many babies are desiccated jerky babies. Oh-wow!

Also, early bird value alert ... getcha ready gang ... the coco coir bricks were available at Target for 2.47 last year. After the holidays, they usually start to have spring things (geez, earlier and earlier), so be prepared to grab/buy them from your local Tarjay store. Stock up! : ) For me, like others, coco coir rocks!