What substrate?

Mr. RussianTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Hi, I have a 1 year old Russian tortoise an Iw as planning to use Coconut fiber for the substrate but the manager of the pet store told me that Aspen snake bedding was better? :( This confused me. which substrate should I use?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The funny (And good) news is that the better options are usually also much less expensive.
Just because there's no cartoon pet animal printed on the bag.
A great example is this HOME DEPOT ORCHID BARK. It's nearly perfect to use right out of the bag. It's very long lasting. Doesn't get moldy and costs very little.
There will be NO need to ever walk into a pet store again.
What they sell, you don't need.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230626_153209_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230626_153209_Samsung Internet.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 5

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I have a 1 year old Russian tortoise an Iw as planning to use Coconut fiber for the substrate but the manager of the pet store told me that Aspen snake bedding was better? :( This confused me. which substrate should I use?
It really seems lie you are not reading the links that are being left for you...

Pet stores have and dispense the old wrong info. This is a great example.

Willow16

Scotland
Just purchased a horsfield tortoise for my daughter and started using a natural soil and sand mix from swell reptile store. I getting confused as there is so much advice about substrate that is contradictory. Can you advise if substrate I’m using is advisable

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Just purchased a horsfield tortoise for my daughter and started using a natural soil and sand mix from swell reptile store. I getting confused as there is so much advice about substrate that is contradictory. Can you advise if substrate I’m using is advisable
Hello! Sand and soil unfortunately not suitable for tortoises. Sand causes impactions and eye irritations. Soil makes mess and molds easily. While it's a "natural substrate" for them in the wild, tortoise enclosure has very different conditions.

Swell Reptiles store has fine grade orchid bark (fir bark) - this is one of the best options.

If you don't mind - you may create a post about your new tortoise in the Introductions section, tell us a bit more about your enclosure and tortoise (photos are welcome). And we will try to provide some advice on what can be improved (or corrected). Usually lightning and heating are the trouble zone.

You are right, that there is a lot of contradictory information. For your own peace of mind you can stick to this forum as information source.

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
Welcome to the forum! And I had problems with substrate too and I would listen to Alex and the redfoot

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thanks for your trust. However, I need to make a little disclaimer :) I'm a new tortoise owner myself (I have my first and the only tortoise just for one year). So my knowledge is mostly a "bookworm knowledge" and "battle experience" is very limited. Almost anything I post here is written in details by other very experienced forum members (such as Tom, Yvonne, zovick, Markw84, Zeropilot to name a few). I just try to adapt it and to give more explanations, where I can.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. That is not a suitable substrate unfortunately.

Please read this and look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom.