Can I have two types of tortoises' together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eealford

5 Year Member
Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you have a California Desert Tortoise and a Sulcata?

I have a 50 year old CDT, and would like to get a Sulcata but I have no idea if they will get along or not and I do not want to stress my CDT out.

Does anyone have any experience with the two "breeds" or tortoise?

Thanks! :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! When you get a spare moment, would you be kind enough to go to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself? The fast and easy answer is, no, it's not a good idea to mix species (species is what we use instead of breeeds). The reasons a couple of which would include different germs each species naturally carries, different temperaments, also with this combination it would not be long until the sulcata out grew the DT and then the DT could become seriously harmed, even killed by the sulcata. A large enclosure would help, but if you could do one large enclosure, why not two smaller but still large enclosure for each?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Welcome!

Jacqui pretty much summed it up. Can you? Well, no one can really stop you. The real question is SHOULD you? The simple answer is no. The sulcata would eventually dominate the desert tortoise in size, and aggression. It would simply be a matter of when. It would be better for your peace of mind and the well-being of the tortoises to go ahead and keep them separate from Day 1.

Really, unless you have a huge plot of land large enough for a "herd" (more than 5?), NO tortoise should be put with a single sulcata tortoise. They are just too large, and belligerent.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
First of all hello and welcome. Unfortunately you got your answers above and some good advise. That's what this forum is all about...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Good advice above. I love both these species, so I can see why you'd want them. Both of them will be much happier if they each have their own habitat and don't have to compete with each other.

eealford

5 Year Member
Thank you very much for your responses...I won't be getting another tortoise.

I don't want to put Flower, my CDT, in any type of aggressive situation.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
eealford said:
Thank you very much for your responses...I won't be getting another tortoise.

I don't want to put Flower, my CDT, in any type of aggressive situation.

Smart choice on your part! Is there any way to create two suitable enclosures?

Status
Not open for further replies.