Can a tortoise hiss or is this a sneeze?

Donatello

My russian Donatello was walking about in his enclosure and made a hissing like sound. Like if you were to breath hard out of your nose. It was a quick sound and as he did it he went back in his shell fast. My daughter was playing in the same room as i was looking at him and she made a loud noise when donatello did this. Maybe he was just startled?. He stays in my room, so usually the room is very quiet all day. Thanks.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
One of my sulcatas does that when he gets startled or spooked and retracts into his shell. I have to be sure not to make any sudden movements around him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, it's them expelling air, like when they draw into their shells fast. Not really a hiss, but sounds like one. I'm not sure if they can really hiss too, but don't think so.

Donatello

Ok thanks guys so much. I am taking him to the vet still for a check up because i got him from the pet store. Now that he is in a enclosure with so much substrate i wasnt able to find any poop. When i add water to it i look and look. The last three soaks their wasnt any poop either. But today there was some by his food dish. Does it look normal? 1392866661553.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: