Can a Russian tortoise, a sulcata, and a box turtle eat water poppies?

negrtalk

Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
I'm getting ready to add some plants in my mini pond, and came across water poppies (hydrocleys nymphoides). I know that most poppies aren't good to feed turtles, but these aren't true poppies botanically speaking. I don't expect the turtles to eat any of the water plants, but my sulcata likes to try new foods (especially any dog poop left in my back yard). If any of my turtles decided to snack on the water poppies, would that be ok for them?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know about the poppies but I do know you need to clean up the dog poop so they can't eat it. Any medications like heartworm given to your dog and be in the poop and now your sully is eating it.
Also, hopefully you are not housing the three together. Species should never be mixed and they all require different care requirements. Besides the sully can hurt or kill the other two and the Russian can hurt or kill the Boxie.

negrtalk

Austin, TX
Yes to putting them in my pond. I have it set up so the sulcata has access to a very shallow part so he can drink and soak. But directly adjacent to this soaking area is where the plants will be. I'm just wanting to make sure the turtles wouldn't get poisoned by eating the poppies.

negrtalk

Austin, TX
I don't know about the poppies but I do know you need to clean up the dog poop so they can't eat it. Any medications like heartworm given to your dog and be in the poop and now your sully is eating it.
Also, hopefully you are not housing the three together. Species should never be mixed and they all require different care requirements. Besides the sully can hurt or kill the other two and the Russian can hurt or kill the Boxie.
The sulcata is mostly in his enclosure except when I'm watching him. But when I let him out into the rest of my yard, he usually beelines for dog poop. As to housing them, they are all together for now. The sulcata is young enough and small enough that he can't hurt the others, and will move out when he's too big. The Russian is mild tempered enough that he doesn't hurt the box turtle. He either leaves here alone or mounts her. And she mostly seems fine with being mounted. They've all been together for about a year without issue, and I have it set up so there are many places where line of sight is blocked and they can get away from each other if they want.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Species should not cross with other species! You are putting them all in great danger! The Russian is stressing the Boxie by his actions. Keeping them together is irresponsible and they need to be separated ASAP. They all require different housing care that you aren't providing having them together!

Reactions: Tom

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I can't imagine this scenario without feeling like I want to forget I even tried. 😩.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The sulcata is mostly in his enclosure except when I'm watching him. But when I let him out into the rest of my yard, he usually beelines for dog poop. As to housing them, they are all together for now. The sulcata is young enough and small enough that he can't hurt the others, and will move out when he's too big. The Russian is mild tempered enough that he doesn't hurt the box turtle. He either leaves here alone or mounts her. And she mostly seems fine with being mounted. They've all been together for about a year without issue, and I have it set up so there are many places where line of sight is blocked and they can get away from each other if they want.
What you are doing is wrong. Each of these species has different housing and heating requirements, different diets, and different behavior and social cues. There is also a terrible risk of disease amongst different species from different continents.

Please do the right thing and separate them immediately.

I don't know about the water poppies. I have no experience with those.