my Russian will not eat off the plant

llindquist

Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, MN
Hello!
I purchased a 4.5-5.0-year-old captive-bred tortoise from a reptile store.
I've been trying to grow some leafy plants, grasses, and succulents for my tortoise. I've gone to great lengths to ensure I obtained organic plants and grasses listed as suitable for Russian tortoises on this forum and tortoisetable.com. From what I've read, these plants are healthier for him?
Unfortunately, my tortoise does not seem to want to try to eat these plants, Mazuri or ZooMed grasslands pellets, and prefers to eat grocery store foods that I've cut up for him. He does not seem to know how to graze from plants. Is this typical? Should I just cut these foods up and mix them into the grocery foods? Is there any way to train him to eat off of the plants?
Thanks so much for any advice!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
It can be frustrating when they won't eat new 'good' foods, but the way to persuade them to eat it is to gradually introduce it to them. Cut it up into small pieces and add it to the food he likes, if you wet the leaves they'll stick together so he can't avoid them. Then gradually reduce the shop bought and increase the good stuff. It can take a while so be patient.

llindquist

Apple Valley, MN
Hi and welcome.
It can be frustrating when they won't eat new 'good' foods, but the way to persuade them to eat it is to gradually introduce it to them. Cut it up into small pieces and add it to the food he likes, if you wet the leaves they'll stick together so he can't avoid them. Then gradually reduce the shop bought and increase the good stuff. It can take a while so be patient.
Thank you Lyn! I will try to stick with it.