Calcium question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcataman

5 Year Member
Will tortoises absorb powder calcium better than chewing up whole cuttlebones?

Sulcataman

5 Year Member
And how many cuttlebones a week?

Am I just wasting my time crushing cuttlebones in a pistle and mortar? Haha

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
The finer the calcium the easier it is absorbed. Cuttlebone crushes up nicely but I am unaware of any actual research as to whether one is better or worse than the other.

Sulcataman

5 Year Member
Thanks. So how many whole cuttlebones should a 200lb sulcata living PA eat a week?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
My sulcata is only about 12 pounds. I put a couple of pieces of cuttlebone in his pen and when I notice it is gone I put in some more. Sometimes it takes him a day to eat it and sometimes it sits for days untouched, then it disappears. He also eats a lot of cactus which is high in calcium so that may influence how much cuttlebone he eats. I have not seen a formula that equates body weight to calcium requirement. If I did I am not sure how I would apply it to find the right amount of a specific calcium source.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
See this article below..

One form of calcium supplement often sold in pet stores is known as “turtle blocks”. These are mostly made of Plaster of Paris (calcium sulfate hemi-hydrate) combined with calcium carbonate, often in a 50-50 combination. Plaster of Paris itself contains almost no useable calcium, and is merely used to adhere the block into shape. Weight-for-weight, therefore, “turtle blocks” contain 50% or less calcium carbonate, of which, in turn, only 40% may be bioavailable. There are also concerns over heavy metal contamination in gypsum, from which Plaster of Paris is derived. This is not a form of calcium supplementation that we therefore recommend.
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/calcium.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.