Calcium carbonate powder.

Speedy808

Location (City and/or State)
Waianae, Oahu, Hawaii
Im currently using zoo meds calcium powder to dust my torts food and noticed a few times after he's done there is that white residue on his face or front legs after eating. Is it safe if it stays on their extremities for a prolonged period? Can't find much info about it.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I can't imagine that it's harmful but the fact you mention a residue leads me to wonder if perhaps you are using too much powder??

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Sometimes my tortoise has a little bit left on her mouth. Don't dusted too heavily, just a little bit works fine.

Speedy808

Waianae, Oahu, Hawaii
I can't imagine that it's harmful but the fact you mention a residue leads me to wonder if perhaps you are using too much powder??
I've been putting about 3 to 4 shakes of it on, once in a ziplock to coat and the other time directly, so it was kinda clumped on the greens. Do you use this stuff and what method would be best?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I occasionally use the powdered supplement called MinerAll. Very rarely but when I do, it's so lightly sprinkled on that one can hardly tell it's there.
I offer cuttlebone and since my tort eats that, I don't use powdered calcium.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't use a shaker. I just take a pinch between my thumb and index finger and sprinkle it over the food, then mix it in.